[comp.text.tex] tex for mswindows?

varmint@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samir Varma) (06/08/91)

I've been using PCTEX386 on my PC.  However, it doesn't run properly under
windows 3.0.  Would anyone out there know of a version of TEX for windows,
preferably shareware or Public Domain that I could use?

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help.

Samir Varma
email varmint@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (06/25/91)

In article <50172@ut-emx.uucp>, varmint@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samir Varma) writes:
> I've been using PCTEX386 on my PC.  However, it doesn't run properly under
> windows 3.0.  Would anyone out there know of a version of TEX for windows,
> preferably shareware or Public Domain that I could use?

> Thanks in advance to everyone for their help.

There is no windows version of TeX (yet). Calling the commercial
suppliers (e.g., Personal TeX, Arbortext, etc.) might convince
them that it would be a good idea.

The reason that PCTeX 386 won't run under Windows is that it uses
the Phar Lap DOS extender to break the DOS 640K barrier which
uses a different standard than windows does. emTeX386 has the
same problem. emTeX286 _might_ work under Windows (Eberhard?) and
any 8088 version should work but you pay the cost in performance.

Me, I just use DESQview and everything's happy.

-dh
Don Hosek
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
Quixote Digital Typography