[comp.text.tex] interleave

matt@carol.math.binghamton.edu (matt brin) (06/26/91)

I am looking for comments on a computer typesetting system that
I have heard of that might be called interleave.  The one
person that I heard describe it claimed that it rivaled TeX in
power and beat it in usability.  This is not an attempt to knock
TeX.  I have been using TeX for years and like it.

marc@sequoia.cray.com (Marc Bouron) (06/26/91)

In article <matt.677885457@carol.math.binghamton.edu>, matt@carol.math.binghamton.edu (matt brin) writes:
> I am looking for comments on a computer typesetting system that
> I have heard of that might be called interleave.  The one
> person that I heard describe it claimed that it rivaled TeX in
> power and beat it in usability.  This is not an attempt to knock
> TeX.  I have been using TeX for years and like it.

Well, it's not often that I get drawn into what might end up a grand flame war!
(Any Interleafophiles out there?? :-) )   I put TeX on our Sun system and
encouraged people to use it.  I find it quite brilliant, particularly now that
we have an HP LJ IIISi to print on.

We had also bought Interleaf anyway.  That's for `official' documentation, and
that's just fine.  But for internal stuff, I find that TeX is great.  For a
start, it costs nothing and is supported by a cast of thousands (millions?).

I think WYSIWYG is fine for drawing pictures or for producing one-page flyers,
but for serious documentation and typesetting, TeX wins for me.  I challenged
someone to compare writing a simple memo with Interleaf and TeX.  They gave up
after some considerable battle with Interleaf just to get this simple task done.
(I'm not saying it can't be done, it just took one hell of a long time, and
that's for a commercial product with an `intuitive' user interface.)

Using LaTeX, we had the job done in next to no time.

That's just one example.  I could ramble for hours...  I shan't :-)

Cheers,

#                           #  marc@sequoia.cray.com           #     .   .     #
#  Marc CR Bouron           #  M.Bouron@cray.co.uk     (ARPA)  #    _|\ /|_    #
#  Cray Research (UK) Ltd.  #  M.Bouron@crayuk.uucp  (DOMAIN)  #   (_|_V_|_)   #
#  +44 344 485971 x2208     #  M.Bouron@uk.co.cray    (JANET)  #     |   |     #
#                           #  ...!ukc!crayuk!M.Bouron (UUCP)  #               #