[comp.text.tex] Where do I find info on new 8 bit font layout?

eijkhout@s41.csrd.uiuc.edu (Victor Eijkhout) (06/23/91)

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu writes:

>My workmate who is the TeX maintainer at my office is revamping
>our font system; he wants it to be compatible with the new 8-bit
>layout for TeX3.  I don't know anything about this layout -- any
>pointers?  I presume there's a committee handling it?

There is no standard font layout, 7-bit or 8-bit or whatever.
There is a de facto standard set by computer modern for
the first 7 bits, and during the conference in Cork last year
some people got together and devised an extension/modification
for 8 bits. You can find this in Tugboat (where else? I mean,
how can you use TeX and not read Tugboat?) vol 11 nr 4, page 514--516.

Victor.

gtoal@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/27/91)

:
:>My workmate who is the TeX maintainer at my office is revamping
:>our font system; he wants it to be compatible with the new 8-bit
:>layout for TeX3.  I don't know anything about this layout -- any
:>pointers?  I presume there's a committee handling it?
:
:There is no standard font layout, 7-bit or 8-bit or whatever.
:There is a de facto standard set by computer modern for
:the first 7 bits, and during the conference in Cork last year
:some people got together and devised an extension/modification
:for 8 bits. You can find this in Tugboat (where else? I mean,
:how can you use TeX and not read Tugboat?) vol 11 nr 4, page 514--516.

My mistake for not relaying his request accurately enough; he wanted both
the layout of where the characters go, and the full technical information
on the new format TFM files -- enough to implement them.  The Tugboat
article doesn't contain all the info he needs. We were looking for something
more along the lines of a Web source for a TFM reader/writer.

Thanks anyway for answering,

Graham Toal pp Graham Asher.