[comp.text.tex] MetaFont

theron@math.berkeley.edu (Theron Stanford) (08/07/90)

I'm on a SUN trying to work my way through The METAFONTBook with
little success.  I do everything it wants me to, and the computer
apparently obeys, but when I try to preview testfont.dvi with
dvitool, it can't find my fonts.  And when I try to get a printout,
I get "cannot access testfont", while testfont.dvi rots away in my
directory.

It has been suggested that I explicitly mention the pathnames [i.e.,
use /math3/grad/theron/io instead of just io], but I can't seem to
trick dvitool into looking in my directory without looking through
/usr/custom/mf84/fonts/pk first [which is where the pk files reside
at Berkeley].  It has also been suggested that I try to convert my
dvi file to a PostScript file, but that's FATAL, because I don't have
io.1000, however that's created.

Please help this TeX tyro.

--theron@math.berkeley.edu

ger@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Ger Timmens) (02/24/91)

Where can I get it ? And how do I install it ?
(I ftp-ed a pub/tex/mf directory and I do not
know how to use a .web file)

Thanks in advance,

Ger,

P.S. please respond by the following e-mail address

NOTE: Ger.Timmens@fel.tno.nl

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/18/91)

  I have MF for my computer, and I am interested in knowing hwo
to generate fonts of a certain size. I have little knowledge of
MF, and YES, I HAVE looked through the Knuth MF book, and found
it totally confusing (just like his TeX book!).

  All I want to do is simply create a font, say 518dpi. I have
all necessary files for MF.

  Can somebody please elaborate on this for me?

Alex Krooglik			krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ.AU
Chem Eng Stude, and proud of it
		"Only wankers insist on wasting time writing a totally
		 meaningless message at the bottom of their .sig*"

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/26/91)

  I am having a problem with MF for the Amiga. I cannot seem to get it
to run! I have 1Mb RAM and I have memtop and memmax set to 100000 and
it says, when run, that "Insufficient Memory (5)!"

  Can someone please elaborate?

Alex Krooglik						krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ.AU
			Chemical Engineering 1991

jcg852@jcsneuro.uucp (John C Gallant) (06/27/91)

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au () writes:

>  I am having a problem with MF for the Amiga. I cannot seem to get it
>to run! I have 1Mb RAM and I have memtop and memmax set to 100000 and
>it says, when run, that "Insufficient Memory (5)!"

>  Can someone please elaborate?

I haven't run MF on the Amiga but I have run TeX (PasTeX that is). You
probably need to REDUCE memtop and memmax. If I remember rightly,
memtop/memmax specify number of long words ie 100000 means it is trying
to grab a 400k block of memory.

--
Please note "ReplyTo:" field in header; "From:" field is incorrect.

John Gallant

raichle@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Bernd Raichle) (06/27/91)

jcg852@jcsneuro.uucp (John C Gallant) writes:
> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au () writes:
> >  I am having a problem with MF for the Amiga. I cannot seem to get it
> >to run! I have 1Mb RAM and I have memtop and memmax set to 100000 and
> >it says, when run, that "Insufficient Memory (5)!"
> I haven't run MF on the Amiga but I have run TeX (PasTeX that is). You
> probably need to REDUCE memtop and memmax. If I remember rightly,
  ^^^^^^^^ you NEED to!
> memtop/memmax specify number of long words ie 100000 means it is trying
> to grab a 400k block of memory.

If you don't use a BigMF, you can't set memmax/memtop to 100000
...and for BigMF a`memoryword' is _two_ long words, i.e., it tries to
grap 800k out of 1MB only for the main mem!

Don't use a BigMF unless you have at least 1,5-2MB RAM.

-bernd