[comp.text.tex] dvips: How to get two TeX pages on one landscape side ?

winckler@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Joerg Winckler) (06/24/91)

Hi,

I try to get two small TeX-pages one one side of a sheed of paper in
landscape mode. Does anyone knows the PostScript Code required for this
and where to put it in the *.pro files ?

Thanks for any help

joerg winckler

--
+ joerg winckler  +  university of freiburg  +  institute for computer science
+ rheinstr. 10 - 12  +  7800 freiburg/i.br.  +  fed. rep. of germany

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (06/28/91)

JW> I try to get two small TeX-pages one one side of a sheed of paper in
JW> landscape mode. Does anyone knows the PostScript Code required for this
JW> and where to put it in the *.pro files ?

I suppose you have dvips 5.47.

Use this with -h twoup.ps -t landscape

(or \special{landscape}\special{header=twoup.ps}

--------------------------------- twoup.ps ---------------------------------
/isoddpage true def
/orig-showpage /showpage load def
/factor 0.707106781187 def
/showpage {
        isoddpage not { orig-showpage } if
        /isoddpage isoddpage not store } def

/bop-hook {
        /vsize 1 factor add neg def
        isoddpage {factor factor scale}
                 { 0 544.283799804 translate} ifelse
        } def

/end-hook{ isoddpage not { orig-showpage } if } def

Note: the numbers are for A4 paper size. For USA paper you might have to
fiddle with the positioning.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu (David M. Jones) (06/29/91)

I tried replying to the original article earlier, but my note seems to
have gotten dropped.

In article <1991Jun28.084321.13558@cs.ruu.nl>, piet@cs (Piet van
Oostrum) writes:

>JW> I try to get two small TeX-pages one one side of a sheed of paper in
>JW> landscape mode. Does anyone knows the PostScript Code required for this
>JW> and where to put it in the *.pro files ?
>
>I suppose you have dvips 5.47.
>
>Use this with -h twoup.ps -t landscape
>
>(or \special{landscape}\special{header=twoup.ps}

Just rearranging the PostScript code won't produce very good results.
A better solution is to use dvidvi (also written by Tomas Rokicki and
available from labrea) to rearrange the DVI file and and then run
dvips on the new file.  The following does pretty well:

        dvidvi 2:0\(-1in,0in\),1\(6in,0in\) old.dvi new.dvi
        dvips -x 772.7 -t landscape new.dvi

Of course, this more or less assumes that you have dvips configured to
generate pk files on the fly.  Otherwise you'll probably be no better
off than if you just mucked around with the PostScript.
David M. Jones                              |"The earth's a prison -- one can't
17 Simpson Ave #1; Somerville, MA 02144     | get away from it.... I'm still
INTERNET: dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu        | too young to lack desires, Not
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!dmjones      | young enough now for mere play."