[comp.text.tex] TeXhax Digest V91 #028

TeXhax@CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (TeXhax Digest) (06/30/91)

TeXhax Digest    Saturday,  June 29, 1991  Volume 91 : Issue 028

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:
                      RE: Help on tabular environment
          [bachmann@dfki.uni-kl.de: Help on tabular environment
                    metafont cm params for SPARCprinter
                                   TeXDraw
                                   TEX MEX
                      astron.bst and chapterbib.sty
                                tpic specials
                    I think this is a feature in LaTeX
          Fonts for the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)
     Needed: public domain driver for dot matrix printer (IBM PC)
                        TeX: matrix transformations
                 TeXHax91.024: Script font and Lagrangian
               Announcing the babel system of style options
                       need dvitty/dvi2tty/dvitotty ??

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1991 09:15:04 CDT
From: "George D. Greenwade" <bed_gdg@niord.shsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Help on tabular environment

There is a style file available from FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET named LONGTABLE
which (sort of) handles p-width columns in a {longtable} environment
written by David Carlisle <carlisle@uk.ac.man.cs> dated 20/12/90.  It is
similar to {supertabular}, but does a few other things as well (such as
stepping and using the table counter, providing a caption, etc.).  The main
limitation on p-width columns is that they are not split across pages
(properly counted w.r.t. lines used, but splits only occur on \hlines and
line breaks).  It can be used with small memory systems as well as big TeX
by controlling a chunk size variable provided in the style file.  David was
nice enough to provide an overview TeX file for instructions on use
(including a discussion of the chunk size variable).

To retrieve both LONGTABLE.STY and LONGTABLE.TEX, include the command:
SENDME STY.LONGTABLE*
in the body of a mail message to FILESERV@SHSU.BITNET.  As always, please
note the syntax reversal used on FILESERV's style archive, and (in this
case) note the use of the "*" wildcard to get both files.

Regards,   George

George D. Greenwade, Ph.D.                            Bitnet:  BED_GDG@SHSU
Department of Economics and Business Analysis         THEnet: SHSU::BED_GDG
College of Business Administration                    Voice: (409) 294-1266
P. O. Box 2118                                        FAX:   (409) 294-3612
Sam Houston State University               Internet: bed_gdg@Niord.SHSU.edu
Huntsville, TX 77341                      bed_gdg%SHSU.decnet@relay.the.net

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 08:37:20 CDT
From: max@nic.gac.edu (Max Hailperin)
Subject: [bachmann@dfki.uni-kl.de: Help on tabular environment

I was only able to suggest supertab.sty in response to the following
query, and that doesn't do the full job (it assumes each line is the
standard size, and hence won't cope with the parboxes).  Does anyone
have a better solution to the problem below?

Date:     Fri, 31 May 91 13:26:44 MET DST
From: Bernd Bachmann <bachmann@dfki.uni-kl.de>

Hi there,

is there an easy way (hack or styles) to get tables (in the tabular
environment) automatically, dynamically separated which are longer
than the remaining space of the current page (longer than a page at
all)? A repeating header line for each page should also be provided,
though not necessary. Additionally, there are columns in the table
which are defined as parboxes (p{...cm}) with an abitrary number of
text lines!

Thanks in advance,

- Bernd

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 13:32:23 PDT
From: doug@perry.berkeley.edu (Doug Neuhauser)
Subject: metafont cm params for SPARCprinter

I have 3 Sun SPARCprinters, which I believe are write-white engines (sigh)
made by Xerox, which support 300 and 400 DPI modes.  Has anyone ever
experimented with the cm metafont parameters for this engine?  Does anyone
have any more information on this printer?  For lack of any other
information, I would start with the Ricoh settings, but would like to not
reinvent the wheel if it is not necessary.

Doug Neuhauser			Seismographic Station
doug@perry.berkeley.edu 	ESB 475, UC Berkeley
Phone: 415-642-0931		Berkeley, CA  94720

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 14:59:44 +0200
From: decreuse@res.enst.fr
Subject: TeXDraw

Hello,
Could you help me using TeXdraw on a Mac SE30 with a laserwriter IIsc
because when I am trying to print the example file tdxexamp.dvi OzTeX
always answers me that it can not open some \special files ? Please what
can be wrong with me?

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 00:23:44 -0700
From: Ernesto Alvarado <alonso@u.washington.edu>
Subject: TEX MEX

I just read in "TEX for the impatient" by Paul W. Abrahams, a reference about
the existence of TEX MEX, which according to this author it's a product by
the TEXnicians of El Paso. Can someone provide some information about it,
How to get it, commercial contacts, or something.

Thanks

Ernesto Alvarado
alonso@u.washington.edu

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 13:56:14 MDT
From: Alan R. Rogers <rogers@anthro.utah.edu>
Subject: astron.bst and chapterbib.sty

Has anyone figured out how to make the astron bibtex style work with
chapterbib.sty?  As distributed, they interfere with each other.

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 22:01:23 MEZ
From: Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: tpic specials

Is there anything like an "official" specification of the
tpic specials?

The reason for my question is the following:
these specials seem to be a reasonably portable device independent
way of doing line graphics in TeX.
one of the main shortcomings is that they do not cover
curves.
Now PiCTeX does curves, and there is a file texpictex.tex
which replaces the slow and memory hungry method of drawing lines in PiCTeX
with tpic specials, but only for straight lines.
Having curves in tpic woule make it possible to do a faster and
more usable implementation of PiCTeX with reasonable portability.
and it should be easy to extend postscript drivers to understand
a curveto special in tpic.
I would be willing to experiment,
but I need the specification!
So I would be VERY grateful for any hints.

ERICH NEUWIRTH
BITNET (EARN): A4422DAB@AWIUNI11
INTERNET:      a4422dab@Helios.EDVZ.UniVie.AC.AT
Institute for Statistics and Computer Science
UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA, UNIVERSITAETSSTR. 5/9, A-1010 VIENNA, AUSTRIA

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:37:40 +0200
From: schoepf@sc.ZIB-Berlin.DE (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: I think this is a feature in LaTeX

   Date: Thu, 30 May 91 16:29 MET
   From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
   Subject: I think this is a bug in LaTeX

Johannes Braams writes:

    Hi,

        Today we stumbled upon a LaTeX 'feature' that I would call a bug.

        A user wanted to have multiple occurences of the same footnotemark
        in a tabular environment. To accomplish this he put the tabular
        environment inside a minipage. So far so good. To his (and mine)
        astonishment the footnotemarks (created with eg \footnotemark[1])
        appeared in the table as arabic numerals, while the marks that
        go with the footnotetext appeared as lowercase letters.
        Digging into:

% LATEX VERSION 2.09 <7 Dec 1989>
% Copyright (C) 1988 by Leslie Lamport

        revealed the following defintion for \footnotemark and its companion
        \@xfootnotemark:

\def\footnotemark{\@ifnextchar[{\@xfootnotemark
    }{\stepcounter{footnote}\xdef\@thefnmark{\thefootnote}\@footnotemark}}

\def\@xfootnotemark[#1]{\begingroup \c@footnote #1\relax
   \xdef\@thefnmark{\thefootnote}\endgroup \@footnotemark}

        which means both macros always use the footnote counter, whereas
        other footnote-macros use the mpfoutnote counter inside a minipage
        environment.

        To cure this behaviour I put

%+
%     This repairs a bug in LaTeX.tex, where the \footnotemark
%     uses \thefootnote instead of \thmpfn
%-
\def\footnotemark{\@ifnextchar[{\@xfootnotemark
    }{\stepcounter{footnote}\xdef\@thefnmark{\thempfn}\@footnotemark}}

\def\@xfootnotemark[#1]{\begingroup \csname c@\@mpfn\endcsname #1\relax
   \xdef\@thefnmark{\thempfn}\endgroup \@footnotemark}

        in a style file.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl
Fax      : +31 70 3326477

Let me point out that this behaviour is deliberate and documented
(page 99). It is to allow the use of normal footnotes (e.g. appearing
at the bottom of the page, not the minipage environment) inside the
minipage.

Rainer Sch"opf

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 14:01:07 MET DST
From: rafael@pyrite.imag.fr (Rafael Laboissiere)
Subject: Fonts for the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Dear texhaxers,

I am looking for an implementation of the International Phonetic
Alphabet (IPA) for the TeX system. Could someone tell me how can I
obtain it?

Please, reply directly to my address, because I am not in the texhax
mailing list.

Thank you in advance,

            Rafael LABOISSIERE
            Institut de la Communication Parlee - INPG
            46, av. Felix Viallet
            F-38.031 Grenoble CEDEX France

            Tel: +33-76.57.48.49     +33-76.57.45.41
            Fax: +33-76.57.47.10
            Email: rafael@icp.imag.fr (INTERNET)

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 09:05:03 +0300
From: Malki Cymbalista <VUMALKI%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Needed: public domain driver for dot matrix printer (IBM PC)

Does anyone know of a public domain dvi driver for a dot matrix printer
that runs on an IBM PC. Thanks for any info.
Malki
bitnet: vumalki@weizmann
internet: vumalki@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il

Date: 	Fri, 24 May 1991 11:16:24 -0230
From: Dave Fifield <dave@garfield.cs.mun.ca>
Subject: TeX: matrix transformations

A friend regularly writes papers involving matrix computations and
often needs to describe transformations from one matrix to another
whereby a number of elements of  a given row (or column) are combined
into one element in the resulting matrix.

For example:

2 5 7 9        2 9 7 9
  3 4 5   ===>     4 5
  4 7 8            7 8
    6 7            6 7

Here the 5, 3 and 4 in column 2 have combined to produce the 9 column
2 of the resulting matrix.

This transformation is described notationaly in the first matrix
by circling the the 3 and 4 and pointing an arc from this circle (or
oval or whatever) towards the 5 in the first row:  (please forgive the
crude grahics)

2   5   7   9
   ^
   |_
   |3|  4   5
   | |
   | |
   |4|  7   8
    -

		6   7

Note that this transformation can take place horizontally as well
and may encircle 1 or more elements. (the above example encircles 2 elements).

What I need is to be able to accomplish this in TeX. So far we have been
using the LaTeX array environment to do the matrices and then drawing the
circles (or ovals) and arrows in afterwards, but this is no fun at all.

Any TeX hackers out there want to give this one a go?

Any help is appreciated,
dave

Dave Fifield               Dept. of Computer Science
dave@garfield.cs.mun.ca    Memorial University of Newfoundland.
uunet!garfield!dave        St. John's, NFLD, Canada A1C 5S7

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 17:33:17 MEZ
From: Peter Schmitt <A8131DAL%AWIUNI11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeXHax91.024: Script font and Lagrangian
Keywords:Script font, Lagrangian

Did you check the NEW AMS-Fonts for AMS-TeX 2.0 as well?
(msam, msbm: Symbols, eufm Euler-Fraktur eusm Euler-Script,
and cmex)
They are available from the Heidelberg Fileserver and from
the AMS-FTP-Site (and others, I presume)

Peter Schmitt, Vienna, Austria

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 07:58 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Announcing the babel system of style options

    Hi,

        Below you find the readme file for the babel system of style
        options. This system supports multi-lingual documents, switching
        of hyphenation patterns, dynamically preloading of various
        hyphenation patterns, language-specific definitions etcetera.
        An article describing this system of style options will appear
        in TUGboat soon.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl

        I am pleased to announce the babel system of style options
        to be used with the standard LaTeX document styles.

        This system consists of any number of language-specific files
        and an underlying common file, babel.sty. The common file
        redefines various parts of the standard document styles,
        replacing english texts with macros. These macros are defined
        in the language-specific files that will be published in TUGboat.
        Currently I have language-specific files for dutch (ofcourse),
        german, english french, italian and spanish. (For the german and
        french parts I used Hubert Partl's german.sty)

        An extra feature of this system is that it offers a possibility
        to switch between languages.

        Anyone who likes to test this, please contact me.

        Please not that this is quite a different approach as the one
        discussed by Joachim Schrod in TUGboat Volume 11 No1. He describes
        a system where the actual LaTeX sources files are modified and a
        new .fmt file has to be built. All of that is not necessary to
        use my approach.

        Files you need:

        BABEL.README            This file
        BABEL.TEX               The driver file to print the documentation,
                                it is based on the use of FMi's doc.sty
        BABEL.DOC               The documented core of the system
        BABEL.STY               The docstripped version of babel.doc
        HYPHEN.DOC              The documented source for the next four files.
                                This file contains code for switchin between
                                languages and preloading pattern files.
        BABEL.HYPHEN            This file was produced from hyphen.doc and
                                can be read by iniTeX 3.x to preload one or
                                more hyphenation patterns, as specified in
                                the file language.dat
        LANGUAGE.DAT            A file listing the languages to be used,
                                this should be modified to reflect local needs.
        BABEL.SWITCH            This file was produced from hyphen.doc and
                                can will be called by babel.sty when
                                babel.switch wasn't processed by iniTeX.
        BABEL22.SWITCH          A version of babel.switch to be used with
                                a TeX version 2.x and plain (lplain) 2.x
        BABEL32.SWITCH          A version of babel.switch to be used with
                                a TeX version 3.x and plain (lplain) 2.x
        LATEXHAX.DOC            Some code, needed for compatibility with
                                plain TeX.
        LATEXHAX.STY            docstripped version of the above file.
        Language specific files come in pairs, documented and stripped.
        These files contain the real user interface, they are all
        the user should see from this system (if he doesn't look in
        TeX's log-file as most don't).
        DUTCH.DOC/DUTCH.STY
        ENGLISH.DOC/ENGLISH.STY
        GERMANB.DOC/GERMANB.STY babel-compatible version of Partl's german.tex
        FRENCH.DOC/FRENCH.STY   derived from german.tex, under development
        ITALIAN.DOC/ITALIAN.STY under development
        SPANISH.DOC/SPANISH.STY under development

    Installation notes

        To install the babel-system the person responsible for the maintenance
        of TeX should place all .sty files in the place where he keeps all
        TeX style files and such. (usually TeXinputs or something similar.)
        When he doesn't want to create new formats he should put the
        appropriate version of babel.switch there as well.
        To build a format, preloading multiple hyphenation patterns, do the
        following:

        1 rename hyphen.tex to something like hyphen.english and include a
          line to reflect this in language.dat;
        2 do the same for other files containing hyphenation patterns;
        3 make sure TeX's parameters are sufficiently sized to preload
          all patterns you want it to (look at trie_size and trie_op_size);
        4 run iniTeX and, when it tells you it can't find hyphen.tex (you
          just renamed it, no wonder) instruct it to read babel.hyphen.

    Notes on filenames

        You may have noted I used some filnames with extensions longer than
        3 characters. This may pose a problem for some operating systems.
        The implementation of TeX I use on my MS-DOS PC (emTeX) is more
        than happy to look for babel.hyp, instead of babel.hyphen. So just
        shorten the names to use 3 characters as extensions for files, no
        need to change any of the code. If you run another TeX implementation
        that behaves differently, well you're out of luck, look for the
        filenames in the code and modify them or get emTeX (this is a plug).

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 14:33:03 CDT
From: holle@ASC.SLB.COM
Subject: need dvitty/dvi2tty/dvitotty ??

I am looking for the program that takes a dvi file,
strips out the TeX commands, and makes it an ascii file.
I believe it's called dvitty or dvi2tty or dvitotty?
It's rumored to output directly to standard-output or
to the screen directly.

Any hints would be appreciated.  I know about detex and
delatex, but they won't work on a "dvi" file.

thanks.
-Kathy Holle                             Schlumberger
UNIX Systems Manager                     Austin Systems Center
ARPANET: holle@asc.slb.com               8311 North FM 620 Road
UUCP: uunet.uu.net!asc.slb.com!holle     P. O. Box 200015
                                         Austin, Texas  78720-0015
512-331-3000 (operator)
512-331-3646 (direct line)

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU          TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nnn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nnn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest