[comp.text.tex] Is there a manuscript.sty?

rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robin Davies) (06/27/91)

For a few purposes TeX output is just too pretty. Has anyone written a style
option for LaTeX which would produce something more or less as ugly as
typewriter output (left justification, double spacing, \tt, underlining for
emphasis, etc.)? I've looked around a bit but couldn't see anything
appropriate.

Thanks,

--
Robin Davies
rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au

schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Joachim Schrod) (06/27/91)

In article <rad.678000303@vulcan>, rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robin Davies) writes:

> For a few purposes TeX output is just too pretty.

I'm just curious: for which purposes?

I just asked because ``pretty'' is (IMHO) the wrong term. A document
should first be readable. If this readibility is considered pretty, fine!
   And why does one want to produce an unreadable document? (And in
fact, the rest of your posting describes a style creating an
unreadable document!)

--
Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

ferguson@cs.rochester.edu (George Ferguson) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun27.112938.21202@infoserver.th-darmstadt.de> xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet (Joachim Schrod) writes:
>In article <rad.678000303@vulcan>, rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robin Davies) writes:
>
>> For a few purposes TeX output is just too pretty.
>
>I'm just curious: for which purposes?
>I just asked because ``pretty'' is (IMHO) the wrong term. A document
>should first be readable. If this readibility is considered pretty, fine!

I have successfully used the "scriptex" package by Adrian McCarthy
(e-mail address unknown). These macros floated past the net
(alt.sources?) some time ago, but unfortunately do not contain any
pointers to where the author can be contacted, since I didn't save
the whole article. The docs refer to ymir.claremont.edu, so you might
try there. Lacking that, I could probably make them available myself,
if the original author doesn't come forward.

This is a very nice package. In addition to providing macros to
describe a script in logical terms, it generates various lists
automagically if desired. I made a couple of small tweaks to "improve"
the output within the confines of the screenplay format (basically to
get less continued dialogs, at the expense of more ragged bottoms).
I think one could certainly use it to get plain "manuscript" output,
without the script features. Of course, using tt font with
frenchspacing gets you close, this package does a good job of
duplicating the effect of the "carriage bell" or "hot zone" at the end
of a line. 'Nuff said.

circumvent TeX's nice output, I quote from the documentation:

 Screenplay manuscripts are typed, not typeset.  With computers becoming even
 more ubiquitous, aspiring scriptwriters are more likely to be
 submitting nice-looking documents formatted with Macintoshes\tm\ and PC's and
 the like.  For better or worse, agents take typewritten manuscripts more
 seriously, according to Richard Walter in {\sl Screenwriting:  The Art, Craft
 and Business of Film and Television Writing}.  Therefore, \ST\ had to be able
 to generate documents which look typewritten.
 The screenplay format is so evolved that~--- averaged out over a half-hour TV
 show, a two-hour movie, or a four-night miniseries~--- one page is one minute
 of screen time.  This may sound absurdly arbitrary, but it seems to hold true.
 One page averages to one minute.  Agents and producers realize that this is
 only a rule-of-thumb, but this rule does drive decisions. Production costs are
 often estimated from the page-count, so it is important that the conventions
 are followed.
 If you are serious about submitting your work to an agent, you are
 better off knocking his/her socks off with a good story than your own
 interpretation of manuscript format.

So you see, sometimes one wants the convenience of electronically-stored
and manipulated text, but is forced to produce ugly output, for better
or for worse.

George
--
George Ferguson			ARPA: ferguson@cs.rochester.edu
University of Rochester		UUCP: {decvax,rutgers}!rochester!ferguson

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun27.112938.21202@infoserver.th-darmstadt.de> xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet (Joachim Schrod) writes:
>In article <rad.678000303@vulcan>, rad@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robin Davies) writes:
>> For a few purposes TeX output is just too pretty.
>
>I'm just curious: for which purposes?
>
>I just asked because ``pretty'' is (IMHO) the wrong term. A document
>should first be readable. If this readibility is considered pretty, fine!
>   And why does one want to produce an unreadable document? (And in
>fact, the rest of your posting describes a style creating an
>unreadable document!)

"Unreadable" to you, perhaps.  A lot of editors, however, can't stand
receiving a typeset manuscript.  They WANT the doublespaced lines, the
fixed pitch font, the ragged lines.  Partly so they can do word estimates
(it doesn't seem to matter if you tell them how many words there are)
and so they can do corrections.  That's why Joachim was asking for a
"manuscript.sty" file...

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

jeffrey@cs.chalmers.se (Alan Jeffrey) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.112938.21202@infoserver.th-darmstadt.de> xitijsch@ddathd21.bitnet (Joachim Schrod) writes:
>   And why does one want to produce an unreadable document? (And in
>fact, the rest of your posting describes a style creating an
>unreadable document!)

Because what makes a readable document for some purposes makes it
completely useless for others.  In particular, normally emphasis or
bold material, or shifts into Greek, or the difference between \Sigma
and \sum should be fairly subtle, and should only be obvious to
people looking out for it.  But if you're sending a ms to a
compositor, the last thing you want is to send a subtle ms, you want
to send one that shouts `This heading is in bold!' or `This is a
summation, not a Sigma!'  If you submit typeset manuscript to a
compositor, they are not going to love you for it.

On the subject of an ms.sty, the main problem is getting the fonts
together.  As DEK pointed out, if you want to take things like
underlining seriously, you need a separate font for it, especially
when you start using full markup and need things like wavy-underlining
and triple-underlining.  There's also real headaches with mathematics,
which you don't want to know about.  But as a few examples:

   Let $a$ be a pudding      should appear as    Let _a_ be a pudding
   Let $x$ be a pudding      should appear as    Let x be a pudding
   Then $f(a)$ is a box      should appear as    Then f(a) is a box
   Then $fa$ is a box        should appear as    Then _fa_ is a box

Obviously, this is completely impossible to generate by machine, so
you're better off making do with every bit of mathematics underlined.
Which isn't what the compositor is used to seeing, and therefore takes
more time, and therefore takes more money.

One of these days, unless anyone beats me to it (please do) I'll get
round to sticking together a full family of cmtt fonts with various
sorts of underlining, and put together a ms.sty to go with it.  But
it'll be a lot of work, and it won't get done until next year
sometime.

Cheers,

Alan.

--
Alan Jeffrey         Tel: +46 31 72 10 98         jeffrey@cs.chalmers.se
Department of Computer Sciences, Chalmers University, Gothenburg, Sweden

mtanner@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Michael C. Tanner) (06/29/91)

George Ferguson (ferguson@cs.rochester.edu) writes about why you might want
ugly manuscripts (if you're writing a script, producers are used to it).  I
have also been told by editors that if you are submitting to them, say short
fiction or novels, they would much rather see typewriter-looking stuff because
they find it easier to read.  Whether they are right in the abstract about
what's easy or hard to read, what matters is their perception.  If they turn
off to your work immediately because of the fancy tex/latex look, you lose, no
matter how many studies you can cite about how much easier it is to read.
But I think an editors who read hundreds of pages of manuscript a week (or a
day, whatever) should know what's easy or hard to read *for them*, and that's
what counts.

-- mike

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (06/30/91)

In article <4653@undis.cs.chalmers.se> jeffrey@cs.chalmers.se (Alan Jeffrey) writes:

>On the subject of an ms.sty, the main problem is getting the fonts
>together.  As DEK pointed out, if you want to take things like
>underlining seriously, you need a separate font for it, especially
>when you start using full markup and need things like wavy-underlining
>and triple-underlining.  There's also real headaches with mathematics,
>which you don't want to know about.  But as a few examples:
>
>   Let $a$ be a pudding      should appear as    Let _a_ be a pudding
>   Let $x$ be a pudding      should appear as    Let x be a pudding
>   Then $f(a)$ is a box      should appear as    Then f(a) is a box
>   Then $fa$ is a box        should appear as    Then _fa_ is a box
>
>Obviously, this is completely impossible to generate by machine, so
>you're better off making do with every bit of mathematics underlined.
>Which isn't what the compositor is used to seeing, and therefore takes
>more time, and therefore takes more money.
>
>One of these days, unless anyone beats me to it (please do) I'll get
>round to sticking together a full family of cmtt fonts with various
>sorts of underlining, and put together a ms.sty to go with it.  But
>it'll be a lot of work, and it won't get done until next year
>sometime.

Most of this has been done already, well, by Don Hosek.  See his
cmpica fonts, on ymir.  These are variants of cmtt, in versions that
include having each character underlined, and again, having each
character having an under-squiggle (i.e., bold markup), and
the right ligatures for quote marks and hyphens.  So you can type
using ordinary TeX conventions (\it, \bf, '', ---, etc.) and if
you define \it to be cmpicaunderlined (I forget it's real name) etc.,
the outcome is almost exactly like a typed and marked-up MS.

Math is another ball game.

Dominik