[rec.arts.cinema] Total Recall: subtle blatancy

latta%graft.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Craig R. Latta) (09/25/90)

	Recently, in article <1990Sep22.064744.12151@eddie.mit.edu>,
att.com!ncsc6!dgp (Dennis Pelton) wrote:

> I'm a science fiction fan (a "serious" one, whatever that means), and
> would like a deeper discussion of Total Recall than has occured in the
> other newsgroups.  Particularly, the "was it real or was it a dream"
> question interests me.

	The following is an article I posted to rec.arts.movies and
rec.sf.something or other, which was almost completely ignored:

***

	I think the violence and inconsistencies (technical,
plotwise, and otherwise) in "Total Recall" all contribute to
the subtle comic-book, dreamy nature of the film. They
IMPROVE the film, in that they make it impossible to place any
part of the film on any particular level of reality or dream/memory,
even relative to other parts.

	The scene at Rekall where Arnie is getting the sales
pitch is central. "Be daring and covert! Get the girl! Save the
planet!" he is told (roughly).

	There is incredible violence in this film, so much as to
be preposterous. We know that Arnie is expected to smash heads at
will in his action movies. But most of Arnie's feats take on
superhuman proportions. The vividness of the violence (bones
crunching, in particular), may be taken as typical contemporary
Hollywood schlock, or part of the larger-than-life quality that
dreams/memories often possess.

	The same goes for the technical and plot "weaknesses".
Since when do we expect complete reality in action/adventure films?
And if the film (or any convenient part) is a dream/memory, than
why are we to expect that Doug knows (or doesn't know) ANYTHING
about (for example):

		The color of the sky on Mars
		What happens to people in vacuums
		What goes on when he's not around

or any of the details which people are (amusingly) debating now.
It's Doug's imagination, isn't it? For all we know, Doug is actually
some guy named Phil in 1953, musing about what the future could be
like, and wishing his own life were more exciting. Maybe one where
he had incredible strength and courage, and always got the girl,
and violent things happened, because frankly, Phil is bored...

	"For all we know..." We don't really know ANYTHING; and this,
to me, is the beauty of the film. The ending does a quite poetic
job of leaving the audience totally confused. AND you get a smooch
in the sunset. How dreamy, but not necessarily a dream... (obligatory
ellipses...) Attempting to decide "is this a dream or reality" seems
to be missing the point of the film.

	And just what IS the point of the film? Don't ask me. I
thought it was a fun adventure flick. I agree that some of the
violence could have been left out, not detracting from the film.
This film probably shouldn't be advertised as graphically in
theaters as it is. The MARKETING is the most exploitive or
manipulative thing about it, as with most commercial products.
A more enigmatic marketing campaign would probably add to the
mystique and give it a bigger initial draw (witness the first
sales week of "Howard The Duck"). But this film hardly needs that.
This movie will make plenty of money: it sates the current
American appetite for violence, but none of it is truly "excessive".
It all adds to the blurring of reality and fantasy (and to that
of what is acceptable and what is shocking in a movie).

	I applaud Verhoeven. He has created a thought-provoking
movie rich in physical and plot detail, the nature of which
freed him to be as violent and as inconsistent as he pleased.

	And I enjoyed it.

-C

Craig Latta                  "There are two types of people: those who divide
latta@scam.Berkeley.EDU            people into types, and those who don't."

greg@tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) (09/29/90)

Re: was it a dream or was it real ?

The setting on the machine when Arnie was programmed i.e. spy, "Blue
sky on Mars", alien artifacts, the settings for the female companion,
etc are a bit of a give away.

The only thing that seriously contradicts my happy belief in that is
the wife bit - If I was paying for a fantasy, blowing my wife brains
out would probably be carrying it just a BIT to far. Frankly, I would
be seriously pissed if they that was the standard fantasy. Maybe as an
optional extra for sicko's ???

--
Greg Calkin, greg@tcnz.co.nz

cruz@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Nancy Cruz) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Sep25.024218.20650@eddie.mit.edu> latta%graft.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Craig R. Latta) writes:

>	Recently, in article <1990Sep22.064744.12151@eddie.mit.edu>,
>att.com!ncsc6!dgp (Dennis Pelton) wrote:
>
>> I'm a science fiction fan (a "serious" one, whatever that means), and
>> would like a deeper discussion of Total Recall than has occured in the
>> other newsgroups.  Particularly, the "was it real or was it a dream"
>> question interests me.

I am not a sci fi fanatic, but I do enjoy many sci fi authors.  I am
glad to see that a dialogue is occurring about this movie.  It was
awesome (and I am NOT an Arnie fan).

There were two questions that prevailed IMHO.

1)  The age old philisophical question of existence.  When Arnie's
    consiousness was altered, was he altered.  Can he be held
responsible for his past actions and ideas? (Is he a hero or a
villain, Should I hate him or should I like him?)

2)  I felt that throughout the film, I was experiencing it like a
dream.  The camera shots were from unusual angles and as you mentioned
the violence was graphic.  But in an almost surreal way. (Pardon my
lack of cinema terminology, I'm a lit major);-P  In the end, I felt
used, deceived and totally confused; as if the sole purposed of this movie
was to play with 'my head'.  Here is this person who I thought was a
hero, but is really a villian... or is he??  and  "Is this movie just
one long dream sequence?"

Re the dream sequence questions, I recall at one point Arnie must
distinguish whether he is dreaming, and determines he is not based on
perspiration.  This could be viewed in one of two ways a)  This proves
to us that he is NOT dreaming   b)  It is used as a clue for the
audience, ie., Arnie does not perspire once in the whole movie or does
he?

Nancy
cruz@lab.ultra.nyu.edu
cruz@acf4.nyu.edu

uda@IDA.LiU.SE (Ulf Dahlen) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct7.174450.20678@eddie.mit.edu> cruz@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Nancy Cruz) writes:
>Re the dream sequence questions, I recall at one point Arnie must
>distinguish whether he is dreaming, and determines he is not based on
>perspiration.  This could be viewed in one of two ways a)  This proves
>to us that he is NOT dreaming   b)  It is used as a clue for the
>audience, ie., Arnie does not perspire once in the whole movie or does
>he?

There is an interesting thing about this scene. Arnie is with his wife
and the man from Rekall, both trying to persuade him to take the pill.
This pill makes the audience think Arnie is NOT dreaming, and that it
is all real and they are trying to kill Arnie or at least make him
fall asleep. When Arnie sees the sweat on the Rekall man, he realizes
they are trying to fool him. He shoots. THEN, the image is blurred and
played in slow motion. What does this mean? Is it Arnie falling deeper
into his dream, cutting off every chance of ever waking up again? Is
the whiteness at the end of the film Arnie's lobotomy (sp?)?

I think this total confusion of how the story should be interpreted is
what makes Total Recall interesting. It would have been nice if they
had made the ending a little bit more realistic, but then again, if
it's a dream... I still prefer to think of the film as what really
happened to Arnie, not as a dream - but *many* things point to the
dream interpretation.

Comparing Total Recall to Verhoeven's other film, Robocop (has he made
other films?), I think that the violence in Total Recall is less
horrible. Maybe that is because Robocop is in one sense more
realistic, and the violence therefore is seen as more credible. Total
Recall has a bit of a comic book over it, making it harder to really
care about people getting shot to pieces...

Ulf Dahlen
uda@ida.liu.se, uda@liuida.UUCP