[rec.arts.cinema] the charter, thr group, the

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.064801.11064@zerkalo.harvard.edu> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:
>     I wasn't around at the formation of this group, so I wonder if
>there was a specific problem being addressed with its creation.

The problem we were addressing was that r.a.m was (and is) completely
unusable as a forum for serious discussion of movies. Try it; you'll
see.

Now, as it happens, I was planning to conduct the vote myself (since I
originated the proposal), but I was unable to do so because of a job
change. Had I conducted the vote, and had the results been the same, I
would have declared the vote to have failed. It did, just, meet the
letter of the law, but by such a slim margin and with such small
numbers, that it seemed clear there wasn't really enough interest to
justify the existence of the group.

But, given that the group was created, I was hoping to see traffic
that was, if limited, at least regular. After all, there are quite a
few serious cinema journals out there (Camera Obscura, Wide Angle,
Velvet Light Trap, Persistence of Vision, Screen, Film Quarterly,
Millenium Film Journal, etc). The readership may be small, but it
exists; and the contributors to those journals continue to publish
interesting articles with regularity. Why couldn't we do the same on
Usenet?

But r.a.c is clearly dead in the water. Why? I can think of three
reasons:

1. The population of Usenet simply lacks interest in film studies. In
this case, we should dissolve the group.

2. The fact that the group is moderated has deterred potential
contributors. I think we need to focus the discussion around this
issue. My own feeling is that a moderated r.a.c has failed (through no
fault of the moderator's) and that we should now experiment with an
unmoderated r.a.c. If that too fails, we're back at (1).

3. People who missed the original discussion are unaware of the
existence of r.a.c or are unsure what the difference is supposed to be
between r.a.c and r.a.m. To address this, someone (moderator?) should
post regular announcements to r.a.m -- let those readers know that,
and why, we're here.

To address (2) and (3) at the same time, I think we should begin a
discussion, cross-posted to r.a.m, about the possibility of converting
r.a.c to an unmoderated group. Of course, we can discuss other
possible amendments to the charter at the same time; but I think we
should focus for now on the moderation (?) issue.

jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (06/11/91)

Even after reading this post, I'm not quite sure what the point of r.a.c is,
and how it differs from r.a.m.  Perhaps if someone (the moderator, perhaps)
would post a few examples of "here are the kinds of things in r.a.m that
DON'T belong here."  As it is, I'm not sure what kinds of things you
don't want.

Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com
Stratus Computer

   Not since Cromwell's troops, their puritan sensibilities offended by beauty,
   went around smashing decorative art in churches has there been an act
   of folly  comparable  to the abandonment and destruction of Forbes Field,
   the Pirates' home for generations.
                --  George F. Will, from Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball

david@cis.ohio-state.edu (06/12/91)

I think a big reason for the lack of traffic is that there exists two
BITNET mailing lists that pretty much cover what appears to be what
rec.arts.cinema was trying to do.  The two mailing lists are :
SCREEN-L & FILM-L.

David

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.073029.14628@zerkalo.harvard.edu>,
uncle!david@cis.ohio-state.edu says:

>I think a big reason for the lack of traffic is that there exists two
>BITNET mailing lists that pretty much cover what appears to be what
>rec.arts.cinema was trying to do.  The two mailing lists are :
>SCREEN-L & FILM-L.

There is also CINEMA-L.  (Can you provide Internet addresses for the sites of
the two you mentioned, please?)

[Moderator's note: Would it be worthwhile and/or advisable to link up
rec.arts.cinema with one or more of these mailing lists?  Do messages
sent to the mailing list(s) tend to run along the lines of messages
posted to rec.arts.movies (i.e. lots of trivia, endless repetitions of
frequently asked questions, etc etc)?  Or are the messages moderated
by someone?  Would someone familiar with these mailing lists care to
comment on what they're like? -- MKT]

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (06/13/91)

>> The two mailing lists are : SCREEN-L & FILM-L.
>>
>There is also CINEMA-L.  (Can you provide Internet addresses for the sites of
>the two you mentioned, please?)
>
>[Moderator's note: Would it be worthwhile and/or advisable to link up
>rec.arts.cinema with one or more of these mailing lists?  Do messages
>sent to the mailing list(s) tend to run along the lines of messages
>posted to rec.arts.movies (i.e. lots of trivia, endless repetitions of
>frequently asked questions, etc etc)?  Or are the messages moderated
>by someone?  Would someone familiar with these mailing lists care to
>comment on what they're like? -- MKT]

I'm familiar only with bit.listerv.cinema-l.  It is not moderated.  Messages
tend to be a little more serious than rec.arts.movies but don't get into
(usually) social issues related to cinema, production values and techniques,
etc.  If that is your objective, then you should plow ahead and hope that the
serious cinema buffs/professionals will find your forum.

mroosen@prl.philips.nl (Monique Roosen) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun12.073029.14628@zerkalo.harvard.edu> uncle!david@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:

>I think a big reason for the lack of traffic is that there exists two
>BITNET mailing lists that pretty much cover what appears to be what
>rec.arts.cinema was trying to do.  The two mailing lists are :
>SCREEN-L & FILM-L.

>David

Unfortunately I as many others (maybe) have no access to these mailing lists,
so please try and crosspost anything to this newsgroup !!

Monique
--
+-----								         -----+
| Monique Roosen          		"It's not that I'm afraid to die.     |

sandyg@sail.labs.tek.com (Sandy Grossmann) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.232412.15264@zerkalo.harvard.edu> David L. Phillips <PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>>I think a big reason for the lack of traffic is that there exists two
>>BITNET mailing lists that pretty much cover what appears to be what
>>rec.arts.cinema was trying to do.  The two mailing lists are :
>>SCREEN-L & FILM-L.
>>
>There is also CINEMA-L.  (Can you provide Internet addresses for the sites of
>the two you mentioned, please?)

The mailing lists have nothing to do with it for me.  I'm not cross-
subscribed.  I didn't even know there were mailing lists...

I think we need to examine the reasons people read this newsgroup
before we immediately leap to the conclusion that there's a problem
here.  Is our concern that people aren't posting enough articles or
that people aren't reading the group?  Do we really have to meet some
sort of monthly minimum?????!!!

It could be that the lack of traffic is simply conservative behavior
on the part of the readers. It doesn't take much insight to realize that
this newsgroup is a forum for thoughtful exchange of fully developed
ideas.  It takes time to express a fully developed idea! Perhaps
people are busy and can't take the time to post thoughtful discussion.
That DOESN'T mean people don't read the postings or appreciate the
newsgroup.

I come to this newsgroup when I have time to consider (thoughtfully)
the articles.  I'm glad there's not a backlog of hundreds of submissions.

I see no reason to change anything about the newsgroup.  Certainly no
reason to generate articles just for the sake of number of postings.
Is there some problem I don't know about?

Sandy G.           sandyg@sail.labs.tek.com
Sandra J. Grossmann
User Interface Research Group, Computer Research Lab
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.
P.O. Box 500, M/S 50-320, Beaverton, OR  97077