[comp.periphs.scsi] [comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Re: Performance Rating w/ A2091 and Quantum ProDrive 40S

mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu (Markus Wandel) (02/27/90)

Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

I tried replying via mail, but the reply bounced, so I'm posting this...

In article <22452@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:

> The Quantum is rated at 2.0 megabytes/second asynchronious transfer
> rate in addition to having a 64k cache.  So I doubt the drive slows
> the performance.  So is this standard?  Has Commodore limited a
> speed demon?

No way a Quantum disk will actually give you 2.0 Megabytes/sec sustained
data transfer.  This is only the speed rating for its SCSI bus interface,
using the asynchronous protocol.  It does not account for delays between
bursts of data from the drive.

You can easily work out the theoretical maximum data transfer rate from
your disk's specs, if you have them.  For mine, for example:

	3600 RPM
	27 sectors/track
	512 bytes/sector

That's 60 revolutions per second at 27*512 bytes readable by one head during
one revolution, for an absolute theoretical limit of 829,440 bytes/sec.
Many factors detract from this, to the point where I believe the maximum
transfer rate possible with this disk is about 500-600 K/sec.  I've never seen
a Quantum giving more than 650K/sec, so I believe its useable transfer rate
is in that area.

Some disks come with a claimed "sustained average transfer rate" -- something
I would interpret to mean the speed at which you can actually get data from
the disk.  But for both the SCSI disks I have, it is given incorrectly at
something well exceeding the theoretical rate at which data can be read in
the first place.

I've also found that a 68000 based Amiga doesn't really need more than 300K/sec
disk transfer rate.  My (homemade) interface goes that fast, and I've found
that all my compiles, Zoo compresses, etc. are now compute bound as shown by
the low duty cycle of the "blips" of the disk activity light.  And my
interface isn't even DMA.  So don't worry about it...

Markus Wandel
mwandel@tiger.waterloo.edu
(519) 884-9547