[comp.periphs.scsi] Buying Naked 8mm SCSI Drives

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (03/17/90)

In article <5157@itivax.iti.org> scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>David Clapp (clapp@chip.UUCP) reports their purchasing department bought
>some "from one of the classic distributors - Hamilton/Avnet or Arrow or
>somebody.  That was months ago for about $2600."

We bought some SCSI disk drives direct from from Arrow a few months
ago.  Generally, the price was good, delivery was quick; they
certainly delivered the quality of service that was promised, and I
would not discourage someone technically qualified from going that
route.

However, having done this, I found some caveats I will share with the
group.

- It would have cost us only about $500 (20%) more to go with one of
the miriad of "package it & sell it" houses that buy from Arrow et al
and resell it to us.  We now believe that this cost was minor compared
to the delay we experienced.

- A distributer is not equipped to do swap warranties.  If your
machine breaks after a few months, you may be without it for 8 weeks
while the manufacturer gets around to fixing it.

- In some cases the distributor can not help you to get funny cables,
mounting shoes, strange formatting stuff, head cleaning cartridges.
All this cost us about 2 weeks of hassle when we got the equipment.
This also reduced our four week "swap-with-new-unit" warranty to about
half that.

- A VAR can offer further services if you need them, from answering
simple and obvious questions, to being paid to get a device you need
in a hurry ready in a hurry.  A distributor can't offer that service.

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com