[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI protocol analyzer ?

butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) (03/16/90)

Hewlett-Packard sells a SCSI probe and software for their current line of
Logic Analyzers.  I have used the 16500A analyzer with the SCSI probe
and found the unit very useful.  The units are Pricy. (As I remember the
HP logic analyzers run somewhere around $7K and up.)  The software includes
a SCSI disassembler and is highly configurable.  Overall it's a nice setup!

--Dan

-=-
       Dan Butzer          || butzer@cis.ohio-state.edu
IICF/CIS Hardware Support  || voice: 614-292-7350  fax: 614-292-9021
   "Fire in the hole..."   || 2036 Neil Ave, Columbus OH 43210

mcs@fps.com (Mike Sanfratello) (03/16/90)

In article <EMV.90Mar14183015@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>I've heard mention of a device that you could use to analyze
>a SCSI bus in action, presumably something on the order of
>an Ethernet sniffer.  Who makes such things and what do they
>cost?  Thanks.

I've used a great one made by Adaptec.  I think the board set for the AT bus
ran about 3k but it is well worth it.

paul@ppgbms (Paul Evan Matz) (03/17/90)

In article <EMV.90Mar14183015@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>I've heard mention of a device that you could use to analyze
>a SCSI bus in action, presumably something on the order of
>an Ethernet sniffer.  Who makes such things and what do they
>cost?  Thanks.

The analyzer/emulator we've been using is made by Pacific Electro Data,
Irvine CA., 714-770-3244.  The product (PED4001) is a PC-XT bus board
with SCSI interface and DOS based control software that allows both
acquisition/analysis and emulation of either a target or initiator.

Capturing data is done by writing very small programs (32 bytes in
length, max) that look for certain conditions and captures data based
on configurable clock signal edges.  These capture programs run on a
little embedded processor that cranks at 100ns/instruction, so you can
look for signal transitions, and certain bus states.

Emulating targets or initiators is done by writing programs in an
interpretive language of their invention, whose syntax is very SCSI
specific.  These programs run under DOS, so they usually arn't as fast
as a real target/initiator might be.  This isn't really a problem
unless you want to simulate bus loading.

It takes a while to get to a point where writing in either of these
languages is second nature, but once that obstacle is overcome, the
product becomes very useful.  The support staff is very responsive,
and seem to be really nice folks.

The PED 4001 cost just under $3000.  They have a next generation
product that would probably make sense to look at, the PED-4033,
which seems to do more things faster than the previous version
(the 4001 can save about 2K worth of bus transitions, while the
4033 can save 32K, timing resolution is X2, etc.)  It costs $1000
more, but looks like it's worth it.

The purchasing contact there is Jan Steury.

Good luck!
|Regards,                           One Campus Drive        |
|Paul Matz                          PPG Biomedical Systems  |
|914-741-4685                       Pleasantville, NY. 10570|
path ppgbms!moe!paul@philabs.philips.com

jjk@abvax.UUCP (John J. Kolber) (03/20/90)

IMHO and in my limited experience, the ADAPTEC SDS-2 is the best game in town!!

Other may have a better machine now, however I bought an SDS-2 when they first
came out and have had no problems yet.

However if you want to do timing and waveform analysis, buy some thing else.
THIS Adaptec machine does not do it, ( not really ) it does try to look like
it but it is really just a picture of a state trace.