[comp.periphs.scsi] "The SCSI Bus" Bus transfers to other busses?

k1te@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Bradshaw Lupton) (03/20/90)

Having a couple of old st-506 boat anchors, an a cramped mac....

Does an affordable st-506 to scsi conversion exist?

I expect that its too complicated and doesn't.

--
*-----------------------*---------------------------*------------------------*
| Bradshaw B. Lupton Jr.| Stratus Computer, Marlboro| Ma 01752  508 490 6484 |

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (03/20/90)

In article <919@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> Lupton@es.stratus.com (Bradshaw Lupton) writes:
>Having a couple of old st-506 boat anchors, an a cramped mac....
>
>Does an affordable st-506 to scsi conversion exist?
>
>I expect that its too complicated and doesn't.

I purchased an Adaptec ACB4000a brand new for $60 from a computer shopper
mail order house last year.  The board didn't have any docs, but I got those
from adaptec for $5.  Not very fast but it did the job with numerous disks
for about a year.  I haven't used it since I got a SCSI disk, but I won't part
with it.  Look around you should be able to find them readily for < $100.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (03/21/90)

In article <919@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> Lupton@es.stratus.com (Bradshaw Lupton) writes:
> Having a couple of old st-506 boat anchors, an a cramped mac....
> Does an affordable st-506 to scsi conversion exist?
> I expect that its too complicated and doesn't.

ST506 to SCSI boards abound (Adaptec, etc.), the problem is ST506
to *Apple* SCSI -- "now there's something you don't see every day."

You could take apart your ST506's and start a computer museum slash
visual techno-art installation.

--
Bruce Walker          ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw         bmw@isgtec.uucp
"What is the mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind." -- Homer Simpson

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/22/90)

In article <919@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> Lupton@es.stratus.com (Bradshaw Lupton) writes:
>Having a couple of old st-506 boat anchors, an a cramped mac....
>
>Does an affordable st-506 to scsi conversion exist?
>
>I expect that its too complicated and doesn't.

Adaptec makes a SCSI-ST506 controller, along with a SCSI-ESDI
controller.

Both are available used/recon from Computer Surplus Store 408-434-0377.
The ST506 controller is called a 4010 and is $109. The ESDI controller
is called a 4520 and is $98. Manuals are $8.

SilverLining may or may not work with the ST506 controller. I've heard
that it does work with the ESDI controller.

Diversified I/O (408-745-0344) also makes a formatter/driver for both
controllers. It suposedly supports multiple disks per controller and
partitioning (although if you have two disks on a controller you can't
have partitioning).

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |