[comp.periphs.scsi] [atari-st] Re: Looking for software to drive a tape drive...

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (04/06/90)

Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <28526@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> That makes three of us!  I contacted ICD about the possibility of
> buying their mech and software - and they said - no way, we have to buy
> the entire unit.  I see a huge potential market for someone who does
> actually write software so that the ST could use any standard tape
> drive unit - after all, the ICD adaptor is pretty much 100% SCSI and
> their should be no reason why it couldn't handle a standard $250 tape
> drive mech with the right software.

I have written a streaming backup program that talks SCSI to the Adpatec
Streaming Tape interface.  The hardware and the program work well for
me.
The next step is to integrated it with Atari's METADOS, if they ever
release it.  This would allow access using Fopen, Fread, etc.

This software has been distributed to several people privately.
Send mail, and if the mailers permit I will make it available on a direct
mail basis.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj