[comp.periphs.scsi] Wanted: SPARCstation SCSI cable source

mday@picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (03/22/90)

I need a cable to connect a Sun SPARCstation 1 to a Sony Magneto Optical
Drive.  We would like to have the capability of sharing this drive between
our Macs and SPARCstations, but I am having trouble finding the correct
cable for the SPARCstation end of things.

The drive itself has the AMP CHAMP "centronics" style connector, while
the SPARCstation has a miniature 50 pin connector (I don't know the
official name of this).  The best our normal vendor can do is come up with
the connectors themselves, but they don't have the necessary pin out
information to construct the cable.

Any suggestions as to alternate cable vendors, or sources for the pin
outs for both the SPARCstation and the Sony drive would be greatly
appreciated.

----------
Mark Day
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry		mday@zeno.mmwb.ucsf.edu
University of California, San Francisco		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday

michael@xanadu.com (Michael McClary) (04/09/90)

In article <13463@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) writes:

>I need a cable to connect a Sun SPARCstation 1 to a Sony Magneto Optical
>Drive.  We would like to have the capability of sharing this drive between
>our Macs and SPARCstations, but I am having trouble finding the correct
>cable for the SPARCstation end of things.
>
>The drive itself has the AMP CHAMP "centronics" style connector, while
>the SPARCstation has a miniature 50 pin connector (I don't know the
>official name of this).  The best our normal vendor can do is come up with
>the connectors themselves, but they don't have the necessary pin out
>information to construct the cable.
>
>Any suggestions as to alternate cable vendors, or sources for the pin
>outs for both the SPARCstation and the Sony drive would be greatly
>appreciated.

We got ours from:

	Monster Cable
	101 Townsend St
	San Francisco, CA 94107
	Telex: 470584 MSCYUI
	Fax: (415) 896-1745

The cable comes in a "MacCable" box, with both the box and the
cable itself labeled as if it had a centronix male connector one
both ends.  Apparently the centronix/db50 cable is low enough volume
that they didn't print up a box for it.

I have pinouts around here somewhere for mac DB-25 / Cen 50 and
Sun DB-50 / Cen50 conversions if anybody is interested.

michael@xanadu.com (Michael McClary) (04/09/90)

In article <13463@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) writes:

>I need a cable to connect a Sun SPARCstation 1 to a Sony Magneto Optical
>Drive.  We would like to have the capability of sharing this drive between
>our Macs and SPARCstations, but I am having trouble finding the correct
>cable for the SPARCstation end of things.

By the way, WATCH OUT on sparc archetecture boards from Sun, especially
the Sun-4.  Some of them have the terminator power pin grounded at the
CPU board, and you can blow the fuse / protector on the drive (or blow
something else if the drive is also non-conforming, or melt the insulation
on one of the wires) if you just plug in to one of these with a cable that
connects that line.