[comp.periphs.scsi] 50 pin adapters

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) (06/05/90)

I am looking for what can best be describe as a gender changer for a scsi
cable. The adapter is a plastic bar with a set of 50 male pins on
each side.  Would anyone know who makes these, and could you supply me with
a part number and a price/per adapter.

Thanks in Advance

Paul Puglia
Dept of Civil Engineering
Columbia University

puglia@cucevx.civil.columbia.edu

eaw@Alliant.COM (Eric Woudenberg) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun4.181954.8756@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:
>I am looking for what can best be describe as a gender changer for a scsi
>cable. The adapter is a plastic bar with a set of 50 male pins on
>each side.

There is a SCSI "T" adapter made by 3M which would work, it's got two
males and a female molded into a single plastic connector.  It's from
AP Products (part of 3M), part number 922576-50-I, and it's $15.  You
can get it from any place which supplies 3M ribbon cables and
connectors (it's usually a one day order).  They may also have a
simple male-male connector.

Eric Woudenberg

cdl@mplvax.EDU (Carl Lowenstein) (06/06/90)

In article <3888@alliant.Alliant.COM> eaw@alliant.Alliant.COM (Eric Woudenberg) writes:
>In article <1990Jun4.181954.8756@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:
>>I am looking for what can best be describe as a gender changer for a scsi
>>cable. The adapter is a plastic bar with a set of 50 male pins on
>>each side.

>There is a SCSI "T" adapter made by 3M which would work, it's got two
>males and a female molded into a single plastic connector.  It's from
>AP Products (part of 3M), part number 922576-50-I, and it's $15.  You
>can get it from any place which supplies 3M ribbon cables and
>connectors (it's usually a one day order).  They may also have a
>simple male-male connector.

A straight-through male-male connector won't work because it swaps the
odd-numbered pins with the even-numbered pins.  So watch out.

It took me a week or more to figure out why this didn't work.
Fortunately nothing burned up except my patience.  A continuity check
would have told the story, but I was looking for cable-length
problems.

There are funny-looking male-male connectors available, that do the
odd-even swap.  I have bought them from Inmac but can not find them in
the latest catalog.

--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mplvax!cdl              cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu