[comp.periphs.scsi] Interpretting error message help needed

dewey@sequoia.execu.com (Dewey Henize) (06/09/90)

I've got a system that was just repaired and it appears we've managed to
clobber something.  I sure don't know what it is, but perhaps the wisdom
of others could bail me out...

We recently replaced the SCSI controller and a disk on a Sun 3/260 running
SunOS 4.1.  I had previously installed an Exabyte unit as /dev/nrst1 with
SCSI id 5 that was used to back it and a couple related machines up.

Since the repair, I can't do anything with the Exabyte!  Commands like
'mt -f /dev/nrst1 rew'  yield the following:

si0:  siintr: spurious phase
si0:  resetting scsi bus
        csr= 0x1407  bcr= 0  tcr= 0x4
        cbsr= 0x68 (COMMAND)  cdr= 0x2  mr= 0x0  bsr= 0x0
        target= 5, lun= 0    DMA addr= 0x0  count= 0 (0)
        cdb=    0  0  0  0  0  0
        last phase= 0x8 (COMMAND)   5   0
        last phase= 0x81 (Arbitration)
        last phase= 0x8c (Cmd complete MSG)   0
        last phase= 0xc (STATUS)   0
        last phase= 0x4 (DATA IN)   8192
        last phase= 0x82 (Identify MSG)   0   0
        last phase= 0x8d (Reselect)   0
        last phase= 0x8b (Disconnect MSG)   0

At which time the ready light goes off for a while, the disks (2) and the
QIC-24 drive go through a reset and it continues to run.

I'm sure it's probably something simple, but I don't know what.  The SCSI
id hasn't changed, nor has the kernel.  I've checked the cables so many times
I'm thinking of giving them names like pets.

Any ideas?  I got the data restored across the network from another Exabyte,
but this is quite a blow to our backup capabilities right now.  Any and all
help, and most especially from anyone that's seen this before, would be
extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dew

phillips@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Phillips) (06/15/90)

From: david@ssi-h.pegasus.com (David Phillips)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers, comp.sys.sun
Subject:  Results of the great compiler search

As promised, here's a compilation of the responses I've received re my
newscast:

OVERALL WINNER:  Free Software Foundation - GNU Emacs, GCC, etc.
This was the runaway winner - about 90% of the responses picked this one.
Aside from being free, the hot points were ANSI compatibility, integrated
design, and speed - both compile time and runtime.

HONORABLE MENTION:  Saber.
While only a few responses mentioned this one, the tone and syntax of those
in finding out more, so if anyone can steer me to a rep or address, much
thanks in advance (I can't be too specific about these responses, because
they were caught up in an overly fast attempt to learn more about email -
yup, I read 'em and promply lost 'em.  Sorry.)

OTHER MENTIONS:  Metaware and LPI
Initial responses for each of these packages were from sales reps with
watchful eyes on the newsnet.  Subsequent responses really appreciated
Metaware's stuff for speed.  Frankly, other responses about LPI were not
so appreciative, but there could be installation problems or whatever, so
we'll focus on the plusses.

IN GENERAL:  I was suprised at the heat Sun took for its compiler prices
and for the quality of its bundled compiler software.  Nearly 80% of the
30-odd people that responded (thanks, by the way, everybody) bashed Sun
about one or the other.  It seems that, as people become better informed
about just what is available out there, the big guys are going to have
to start keeping up.  Nice thought.

thanks again

david