[comp.periphs.scsi] maxtor tahiti drive -$?

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (06/16/90)

How much does a Maxtor Tahiti drive with SCSI interface go for? How
much does media go for? Anyone ever put one on a DECstation (risc)?

would this be a better choice that e.g. a DAT drive if I was
interested backups & ``long term'' file storage (address traces, etc).

mccalpin@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (John D Mccalpin) (06/16/90)

In article <22294@boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>How much does a Maxtor Tahiti drive with SCSI interface go for? How
>much does media go for? Anyone ever put one on a DECstation (risc)?

I saw one advertised in Computer Shopper (look up a vendor called Tech City)
for $5995 bare.  I called and they said that they had 2 in stock.
They don't carry the media.
I am going to wait until my workstation vendor (Silicon Graphics) has
O/S support for the Tahiti -- maybe later this year.

>would this be a better choice that e.g. a DAT drive if I was
>interested backups & ``long term'' file storage (address traces, etc).

I get seriously hooked on optical drives for archiving while working
on the NeXT.  It is a wonderful feeling to put in a disk containing old
work and to be able to wander around the file structure while reminding
yourself of what it was that you had worked on in that project!
With any kind of tape, you have to clear out a huge amount of space to
load everything back on disk, and this is often extremely inconvenient.
--
John D. McCalpin                               mccalpin@vax1.udel.edu
Assistant Professor                            mccalpin@delocn.udel.edu