[comp.periphs.scsi] Seagate 196n & 4096n

gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) (06/27/90)

I have the option of purchasing either a seagate 196n or 4096n
Both are roughly 85 Megabytes.  The 196n is 22 Mls and the 4096 is 28 Mls.

I'd like to hear about the problems encountered with either hard disk and the
advantages of each as well.

The Price is exactly the same so that isn't something that I would be taking
into account.  The difference between 22 Mls and 28 Mls doesn't bother me
either so mention the pro's and con's ignoring the price and access time
factor.

--
Michael Gammal	           Apple //e & Atari Enthusiast		Dawson College
gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG		qp qp qp qp qp qp qp 		Montreal, Que.

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (06/29/90)

:
:I'd like to hear about the problems encountered with either hard disk and the
:advantages of each as well.
:
:The Price is exactly the same so that isn't something that I would be taking
:into account.  The difference between 22 Mls and 28 Mls doesn't bother me
:either so mention the pro's and con's ignoring the price and access time
:factor.

	There are a couple of big differences in those drives... the 196 is
a 3.5 inch drive and the 4096 is a full height 5.25 inch! A lot will depend
on what you have to mount it in... :-) The 196 should use a *lot* less power
and it has the data stored in an ARLL type format. That means the maximum
transfer rate should be much faster than the MFM 4096. You're right in saying
the average access speed doesn't really have much affect between the two, but
the data transfer rate should. You might want to look at the 296N (5.25 inch,
half height) also. They're selling for very little $$s these days.

:Michael Gammal	           Apple //e & Atari Enthusiast		Dawson College
:gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG		qp qp qp qp qp qp qp 		Montreal, Que.
:				db Support Nature db 		Canada

     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
(503) 281-8153    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Tim Bowser) (07/04/90)

gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) writes:

>I have the option of purchasing either a seagate 196n or 4096n
>Both are roughly 85 Megabytes.  The 196n is 22 Mls and the 4096 is 28 Mls.

Cannot find either drive you mention in the Seagate reference(s) I have.
The 296N ('N' indicating SCSI interface) is a 5 1/4" half height device.
The 1096N is a 3 1/2" half height drive, while the 3096N is listed as a
SCSI-2 interface.  All of these have roughly 26ms access times.

Given all of this, I'd go for the 3 1/2" drives for low power consumption
and low heat vs the 5 1/4" devices.

Just as a quick note: the 4096 is Seagate's largest MFM drive.  The Wren
and Swift family of drives they acquired when Seagate bought Imprimis.
--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US