[comp.periphs.scsi] Wren drives, diff scsi, and more!

BACON@MTUS5.BITNET (Jeffery Bacon) (07/05/90)

I know the first is common knowledge, but not for I:

What's the diff between the Wren VII and the Wrenrunner? Right now we have a
bunch of Wren VI's; they've had a colorful life with us, but now that they're
older and more settled down (and we've culled out the flakey drives), they're
doing fine. Nice and fast too. But we're looking at buying some more big
drives, and I'd like to get the lowdown on the rest of the Wren line. (For
various political and other reasons, we're probably gonna stay Wren pern.)

Next: There's been some talk in the past on Suns and differential scsi (I
don't think it was here...) and possibly getting it enabled. Is this truly
possible? I've hacked a little code in the kernel and found the scsi_options
symbol, and found various include files, etc...and I've also heard that the
Wren drives are capable of diff scsi...and I'd like to put 1+1 together
and get some real throughput, but...has anyone done this? Does it work?
Is it possible even? Or am I just california dreamin'?

(My test bed: SS1 or 1+, 1xQuantum 105MB internal, 1xWren VI, 2xSun 150MB tape)

Thanks all.

Jeffery Bacon -- Computing Technology Svcs., Michigan Technological University
email- bacon@mtus5.bitnet       voice: (906)487-2110        fax: (906)487-2787
alternate-  uucp: <world>!itivax!anet!bacos  domain: bacos%anet@itivax.iti.org

BACON@MTUS5.BITNET (Jeffery Bacon) (07/06/90)

Ah, yes, someone pointed out to me that I really meant synchronous scsi,
not differential...thanks Chris. (We're also dealing with getting an exabyte
onto a Multimax, the scsi cards on which are differential synch...got
confused.)

chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (07/10/90)

In article <90185.225056BACON@MTUS5.BITNET> BACON@MTUS5.BITNET (Jeffery Bacon) writes:

>Next: There's been some talk in the past on Suns and differential scsi (I
>don't think it was here...) and possibly getting it enabled. Is this truly
>possible? I've hacked a little code in the kernel and found the scsi_options
>symbol, and found various include files, etc...and I've also heard that the
>Wren drives are capable of diff scsi...and I'd like to put 1+1 together
>and get some real throughput, but...has anyone done this? Does it work?

Differential SCSI is an electrically different way of driving and connecting
the SCSI bus.  There's nothing in the software involved.  In fact, I've never
seen a device capable of doing both differential and single-ended (the "other"
kind), without at least some hardware jumper changes.  Usually, it requires
different chips to be stuffed.

As far as I know, none of the standard Sun SCSI interfaces are available in
differential form -- at least, I've never or heard of such.

However, many peripheral makers manufacture both differential and single-ended
versions of their devices.  When you buy a single-ended disk, though, it will
most likely always be single-ended only.  The user won't be able to change to
differential without replacing a component board.

Differential SCSI also has no effect on throughput or data rates, at
least not directly.  It does lower the effects of noise on the bus,
perhaps enabling more reliable performance at higher rates.  Mostly,
however, it just allows you to run a longer bus.  A single-ended SCSI
bus is not longer than 6 meters in length while if I recall correctly, a
differential SCSI bus may be up to 25 meters in length.
--
   ...Chris Johnson          chris@c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522