[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec SCSI-ST506

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (07/10/90)

Does anyone know the differences between the various Adaptec SCSI to
ST506 boards? The Adaptecs come in various models, such as the
4000(a), 4010 (advertised as a mac version of the 4000a), and the 4070
(a rll version). And I just saw an ad mention an ADAPTEC model 5500
scsi to st506. Precisely how do these models differ? For instance, I
vaguely remember reading that there was something special about Macs
vis-a-vis the scsi standard, but I have no idea how/why this might
relate to there being a special adaptec board.

My question stems from a desire to use one of these scsi-st506 boards
to hook a Maxtor 1140 (918 cyls, 15 heads, 140 meg) to a NeXT (not a
Mac - but any Mac/SCSI peculiarities may well be pertinent). I have
tried an adaptec 4000(a?) with no success so far - the system never
recognizes the adaptec.  In effect, it never reports seeing the
adaptec on the bus during the boot. The adaptec is set for scsi
address 0 which should not interfere with the NeXT. Indeed,
the Next side seems fine - it will recognize a scsi tape
controller (an emulex if memory serves).  Any suggestions?

S. Marsella

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (07/12/90)

In <Jul.9.19.56.51.1990.6031@athos.rutgers.edu> marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:

>Does anyone know the differences between the various Adaptec SCSI to
>ST506 boards? The Adaptecs come in various models, such as the
>4000(a), 4010 (advertised as a mac version of the 4000a), and the 4070
>(a rll version). And I just saw an ad mention an ADAPTEC model 5500
>scsi to st506. Precisely how do these models differ? For instance, I
>vaguely remember reading that there was something special about Macs
>vis-a-vis the scsi standard, but I have no idea how/why this might
>relate to there being a special adaptec board.

As far as I remember having read in the 4000A's manual, the Mac seems to
have an odd block size, something like 576 bytes, but defeinitely
nothing like a power of 2.
The 4000A apparently has a special jumper to cater for Macs.

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

tarsa@abyss.zk3.dec.com (Greg Tarsa) (07/12/90)

In article <Jul.9.19.56.51.1990.6031@athos.rutgers.edu>,
marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:

|> Does anyone know the differences between the various Adaptec SCSI to
|> ST506 boards? The Adaptecs come in various models, such as the
|> 4000(a), 4010 (advertised as a mac version of the 4000a), and the 4070
|> (a rll version). And I just saw an ad mention an ADAPTEC model 5500
|> scsi to st506. Precisely how do these models differ? For instance, I
|> vaguely remember reading that there was something special about Macs
|> vis-a-vis the scsi standard, but I have no idea how/why this might
|> relate to there being a special adaptec board.

The 4000 series are all SCSI controllers that do not support
"disconnect-reconnect".  The 4070 encodes the drive in RLL format, the others
are all MFM.  RLL, if your drive supports it allows you to get about 150% of
its rated capacity.

The 5000 series is a more complete SCSI implementation and supports
disconnect-reconnect and, I believe, most all of the Common SCSI Command set.

I can't help you with your specific problems.

Greg
Tarsa Software Consulting
		33 Seabee Street
		Bedford, NH 03102	tarsa@elijah.mv.com
		(603)668-9226		{decuac,decvax}!elijah!tarsa