[comp.periphs.scsi] Question: How to obtain the CAM spec

srm@Matrix.COM (Steve Morris) (07/18/90)

Where/How can I obtain the common access method (CAM)
specification?

Thanks in advance.
| Steve Morris                         srm@matrix.com         |
| Matrix Corporation                   mcnc!matrx!srm         |
| 1203 New Hope Road                   (919)231-8000 Telephone|

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul18.122826.11194@Matrix.COM> srm@matrx.matrix.com (Steve Morris) writes:

>Where/How can I obtain the common access method (CAM)
>specification?
>
>Thanks in advance.

The latest version of the CAM draft can be found on the SCSI BBS at
316-636-8700.  CAM-R18.ZIP is in file area 13.  But, you may need a friend with
a DOS machine.  CAM-R18.ZIP consists of WordStar files in ZIP format.
Also contained on the SCSI BBS are PKZ110.EXE (a program to unZIP the files)
in area 2 and WSCNVN.ZIP (a program to convert from WordStar format) in
area 6.

The SCSI BBS is not limited to just SCSI stuff.  You can also find varying
amounts of information on ESDI, CAM, ATA, IPI, and Fiber Channel.  Current
revisions of SCSI-1, SCSI-2, ESDI, CAM, and ATA are posted there.  You
can also find ISO versions of several IPI documents and minutes of X3T9.2
(SCSI, ESDI, CAM, ATA) and X3T9.3 (IPI, HIPPI, and Fiber Channel).

Some of these files are also available from the mgse archive server, but
I'm not sure whether the latest revs are there or not.  Mark Seiffert
provides this service and he posts a monthly article in this newsgroup
which says how to use the server.  The following is from Mark's monthly
posting:

If
you are interested in finding out what is available from the archive server,
send the message that follows to archive@mgse and you will get back an index
of names and descriptions and a unix style ls -lR listing of filenames and
sizes.

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
help
send other/scsi-bbs/list
send other/scsi-bbs/index
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

if you are interested in the SCSI Version 1, Revision 17B document, have
the bbs send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.zip in addition to the index and list
by including these lines at the end of the above message;

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
set uuencode
send other/scsi-bbs/area07/17b.zip
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

There files are also available for anonymous uucp at 504-467-1069,
2400 baud, login 'archive' in /archive/other/scsi-bbs. Callers at
300 or 1200 baud will have to send a break.

--
Archive Server Deamon,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!archived or rex!mgse!archived

John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye
3718 N. Rock Rd.      Voice: 316-636-8703
Wichita, KS 67226     SCSI BBS 316-636-8700 300/1200/2400 24 hours

In article <602@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> jlohmeye@entec.UUCP (John Lohmeyer) writes:
>In article <1990Jul18.122826.11194@Matrix.COM> srm@matrx.matrix.com (Steve Morris) writes:
>>
>>Where/How can I obtain the common access method (CAM)
>>specification?
>The latest version of the CAM draft can be found on the SCSI BBS at
>316-636-8700.  CAM-R18.ZIP is in file area 13.  But, you may need a friend with
>a DOS machine.  CAM-R18.ZIP consists of WordStar files in ZIP format.
>Also contained on the SCSI BBS are PKZ110.EXE (a program to unZIP the files)
>in area 2 and WSCNVN.ZIP (a program to convert from WordStar format) in
>area 6.

	Messydos, yech.  Anyone want to transfer that stuff to a normal
interchange format, like arced or compressed text files?  A lot of the
world avoids clones like the plague.  Especially since SCSI seems to be
the preferred interface for Amiga's, Mac's, and most desktop workstations
(and to some extent larger ones), while various non-intelligent interfaces
(st506, esdi, "xt-bus", "at-bus") still seem to be the norm in the clone world.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (07/25/90)

In article <13376@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <602@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> jlohmeye@entec.UUCP (John Lohmeyer) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul18.122826.11194@Matrix.COM> srm@matrx.matrix.com (Steve Morris) writes:
>>>
>>>Where/How can I obtain the common access method (CAM)
>>>specification?
>>The latest version of the CAM draft can be found on the SCSI BBS at
>>316-636-8700. ....<rest deleted>....
>
>	Messydos, yech. ....<rest deleted>...

I refuse to engage in another <os> vs. <os> war :-).  If you can wait a couple
weeks, the updated files will be on Mark Seiffert's mgse archive server.  I
am sending him a floppy with the latest files.