[comp.periphs.scsi] Wide SCSI on NCR53C700

SRGHDJE@windy.dsir.govt.nz (07/25/90)

We are about to start designing a system using the NCR53C700 SCSI I/O
Processor (SIOP). This looks to be a great chip, it even has 12 pins
that the data manual (Rev.2.5) says are "Reserved for Wide SCSI".
Unfortunately that's about all it says with respect to future support
for wide SCSI. Before getting on with a detailed design, board
layout etc. it would be helpful to know what plans there are for these
pins. Twelve pins is probably not enough to support even a 16 bit SCSI
bus directly. Perhaps these pins will be an interface to another
"expander" chip. Does anyone know what NCR's intentions are? Would
anyone at NCR care to comment?

Dave Evans
|DSIR Physical Sciences | Internet: srghdje@grv.dsir.govt.nz             |
|Infomation Tech. Group | Bitnet:   srghdje%grv.dsir.govt.nz@relay.cs.net|
|P.O. Box 31-311        |                                                |
|Lower Hutt             | Phone:    +64 4 690501                         |
|New Zealand            | Fax:      +64 4 690067                         |

cgn@leo.UUCP (Chris Nieves) (07/27/90)

In article <18001@windy.dsir.govt.nz>, SRGHDJE@windy.dsir.govt.nz writes:

> We are about to start designing a system using the NCR53C700 SCSI I/O
> Processor (SIOP). This looks to be a great chip, it even has 12 pins
> that the data manual (Rev.2.5) says are "Reserved for Wide SCSI".

I'll agree that the SIOP is the right way to go...but what are you going
to hook up to this design that supports wide scsi??  Everything that is
fast is getting smaller and that means no place to put the extra
connector.  Worry about going faster (10MB) before going wider.

Chris Nieves
UUCP : ccicpg!leo!cgn  or cgn@leo.ccicpg
USPS : ICL North America, 9801 Muirlands Blvd., Irvine, CA 92718-2521
PHONE: (714) 458-7282