[comp.periphs.scsi] Wren VI jumpers.

fhage@uncmed.med.unc.edu (02/27/90)

The WREN VI documentation (WREN VI SCSI Model 94191 Rev B OEM manual
July 1989) for setting device address jumpers has a serious flaw that
may have lead to the setup problems mentioned previously in this
group.  On page 15 of the manual, that is suplied with the drives, it
shows the drive ID and Option header as having 8 pairs of pins, whereas
there are *9* adjacent pairs of pins on the back of the drive. The
"extra", unshown pair is actually jumper J4 pins.  This makes it very
easy to mistakenly place the jumper on the Motor Start Option pins,
instead of on the device ID bit 1 pins by counting from the wrong side
of the "header". This leaves the drive as device #0, but it does'nt spin up
until the computer sends a start unit command to drive #0. Everyone here
thought it was a hardware/cabling problem until I found the "extra pins".

-Frank Hage (I *KNOW* its device 1! - I jumper'ed them pins myself!)

ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu (Halvorson,Peter J) (07/25/90)

I just bought a Wren VI SCSI hard drive ( model #94191-766) from Caber
Systems, they have provided absolutely no support.  Does anyone out there
know the purposes of the nine jumpers on the back of the drive?  In
particular, I need to set the SCSI id to 2.  I assume most companies would
send at least a data sheet to explain the basics of installation ( not one
piece of paper from Caber Systems).  Thanks to anyone who can help me.

              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph
Internet: ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu  --   peter@fission.gatech.edu

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (07/25/90)

In article <10196@brazos.Rice.edu>, ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu (Halvorson,Peter J) says:

>I just bought a Wren VI SCSI hard drive ( model #94191-766) from Caber
>Systems, they have provided absolutely no support.  Does anyone out there
>know the purposes of the nine jumpers on the back of the drive?  In
>particular, I need to set the SCSI id to 2.

I have the "Installation Manual" for the Wren 6.  It's a single sheet in
small type with several diagrams.  I won't try to reproduce the text and
diagrams here, but I'll mail a photocopy to the first 3 people to ask.  I
have Revision C, Feb 1990.

To set the SCSI logical address, set jumpers 3, 4 & 5 (counting from left
where leftmost jumper is numbered 1) to the binary value of the address.
Jumper installed = 1; not installed = 0.  The jumpers are installed
vertically.

Incidentally, I've always seen the drive name spelled the way you spell
it--Wren VI--but Seagate calls it the Wren 6.

Mark Riordan    riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu    Michigan State Univ.

bmw@uunet.uu.net (Bruce Walker) (07/27/90)

In article <10196@brazos.Rice.edu> ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu (Halvorson,Peter J) writes:
> I just bought a Wren VI SCSI hard drive ( model #94191-766) from Caber
> Systems, they have provided absolutely no support.

In cases like this, I go to a friendly disti for data.  Try calling Arrow,
they distribute Seagate (and thus Imprimis/whatever)

> Does anyone out there
> know the purposes of the nine jumpers on the back of the drive?  In
> particular, I need to set the SCSI id to 2.

From my manual, connector viewed from rear of drive:

 Terminator              +- Motor start option (wait for Start Unit cmd)
   Power      SCSI ID    |   +- enable parity
     |       4   2   1   |   |
======================================= <- cct board
  |  o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o  |
  | 1| 2                            |
  |  o---o   o   o   o   o   o   o  |
  +---------------------------------+
pin 1

SCSI ID is binary, factory default is drive 1.

If drive is not to be terminated, remove SIP resistor packs (3).  If drive
is terminated, insert a jumper in position 1 or 2 as shown near pin 1
above.  1 (vertical) means terminator power comes from drive.  2 (horiz.)
means power comes from cable.

Unmarked pin is reserved.

Yes, I realize there are only 8 jumpers shown here.  This is from the
manual I have and it doesn't quite match the drive.  I believe that one of
the end pins is reserved.  You'll have to orient yourself by way of
knowing what the factory default jumpering is.

bmw@isgtec.uucp  [ ..uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw ]  Bruce Walker