[comp.periphs.scsi] sun scsi drive in a mac?

cliff@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (07/27/90)

If I put a Quantum 105 mb from a Sun into my Mac II should I expect it to work?
I have heard that the physical interface is somehow munged on the Sun. Is this true?
What will I need to format the drive? (public domain hopefully).
							-cliff
--
Cliff Spencer
spdcc!cspencer 			cspencer@spdcc.com

wgstuken@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock ) (07/28/90)

cliff@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:

>If I put a Quantum 105 mb from a Sun into my Mac II should I expect it to work?
>I have heard that the physical interface is somehow munged on the Sun. Is this true?
>What will I need to format the drive? (public domain hopefully).
>							-cliff

If you have allready a drive, it will be easy.
You have to copy the driver form youur old drive to the new one and edit the
Volume header to the size of the new drive. (2 or 3 long-words).

Thats all, and the drive will run with the Mac.

Wolfgang
wgstuken@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (07/31/90)

In article <3476@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> cliff@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>If I put a Quantum 105 mb from a Sun into my Mac II should I expect it to work?
>I have heard that the physical interface is somehow munged on the Sun. Is this true?
>What will I need to format the drive? (public domain hopefully).

No, Sun did not alther the physical interface.  Cabling should be plug-n-play.

You will need some sort of Mac software that will allow labeling and driving
generic SCSI drives, unless the latest & greatest Mac system software was
generalized to do that.  As of System 6.0 and before, the Mac software
only recognized and correctly handled Apple supplied hard drives.  I believe
there are a number of shareware/freeware programs that will do what you
want, however.
--
   ...Chris Johnson          chris@c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.172530.9530@com50.c2s.mn.org>, chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) writes:
> You will need some sort of Mac software that will allow labeling and driving
> generic SCSI drives, unless the latest & greatest Mac system software was
> generalized to do that.  As of System 6.0 and before, the Mac software
> only recognized and correctly handled Apple supplied hard drives.  I believe
> there are a number of shareware/freeware programs that will do what you
> want, however.

I would like to possibly do this in unix.  I have an adaptec mfm-scsi bridge
card but need the software (that will run on unix system V, or even messy-dos)
to properly label and set up (i.e., format, among other things) a miniscribe
6085 drive to look like a scsi so the bridge will work properly.

Does anyone know of such a beast and would they be willing to send me a copy?
(Although email me first so i don't get 100 copies)

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association, North Central Section

lsh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Lan S Hsieh) (08/01/90)

>In article <3476@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> cliff@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>If I put a Quantum 105 mb from a Sun into my Mac II should I expect
>it to work?
>What will I need to format the drive? (public domain hopefully).

What you need to do is either get a copy of a universal SCSI disk formatting
software, like OnTrack or SilverLining, or hack Apple's SC HD setup to format
your drive.  If you are handy with fedit or any other utility
which lets you modify sectors in hex while observing in ASCII, I can send
you the info needed to modify this utility so it will recognize almost
any SCSI drive.  I use the same drive in my Mac, formatted with Apple's SC HD
Setup (modified).

If you are not handy with fedit or afraid of writing sectors in files, you
can buy Silverlining for ~$100 or OnTrack from us for $40. We have a copy
we don't need or use.

Thank you.