[comp.periphs.scsi] Source for SCSI Standerd desired

rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) (08/02/90)

I am interested in learning how to write SCSI device drivers and I am
told the definitive source is the SCSI standerd.

I have looked in computer bookstores all over and can't find the beast,
Can someone tell me where is the best and/or cheapest place to get a copy?

Brynn              rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (08/03/90)

In article <1932@ux.acs.umn.edu> rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>I am interested in learning how to write SCSI device drivers and I am
>told the definitive source is the SCSI standerd.
>
>I have looked in computer bookstores all over and can't find the beast,
>Can someone tell me where is the best and/or cheapest place to get a copy?
>
>Brynn              rogers@ux.acs.umn.edu

Of course, it depends on what you want.  Electronic copies can be obtained
from the SCSI BBS (316-636-8700) or from the mgse archive server.  I just
saw the monthly posting in comp.periphs for this server.  If you would
rather have a paper copy (with figures), ANSI is cheaper, but slower.
Global Engineering Documents is more expensive, but gives quick service.
ANSI will not sell SCSI-2 until it is approved (soon) and published (some
time later -- probably early 1991), Global has the latest committee draft.

The following file (from the SCSI BBS) describes the paper options:

                       How to Get SCSI Standards

   This file has information on obtaining the various SCSI standards.

   American National Standard (ANSI) for Small Computer System Interface
   (SCSI), X3.131-1986.  This approved standard is available from:

        American National Standards Institute
        1430 Broadway
        New York, NY 10018
        Sales Department: (212) 642-4900

   The price is $25.00 each for 1-9 copies.  Quantity discounts are
   available.  If your company is a member of ANSI, you may also be
   eligible for a discount.

   The enhanced Small Computer System Interface (SCSI-2) is expected to
   be approved in August 1990.  Copies of this document can be obtained
   from:

        Global Engineering Documents
        2805 McGaw
        Irvine, CA 92714
        (800) 854-7179
        (714) 261-1455

   Global has identified this document as X3.131-198X. (The latest revision
   is Rev 10c with a date of 3/9/90.)

   The European Computer Manufacturers Association (ECMA) has also prepared
   a standard on SCSI.  It is known as: Standard ECMA-111 and was published
   in December 1985.  Free copies are available from:

        European Computer Manufacturers Association
        114 Rue du Rhone
        1204 Geneva (Switzerland)

   (File HOW2GET.TXT last updated 8/02/90)

John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye
3718 N. Rock Rd.      Voice: 316-636-8703
Wichita, KS 67226     SCSI BBS 316-636-8700 300/1200/2400 24 hours