[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI bus termination

tarsa@abyss.zk3.dec.com (Greg Tarsa) (08/03/90)

Could someone give a quick tutorial on just how a SCSI bus
needs to be terminated?  I thought I understood how this worked
(that is, the last device on the bus needs a termination resistor
plugged into it), but now I am starting to see those "plugs" that
one is to plug into the end of the SCSI bus cable.  It appears
that this is used in addition to, not in place of, the last device
resistor pak.  My experiences mostly center around SUN shoeboxes where
they did not used to use plugs and DEC shoeboxes, where they do seem to
use them.

    What is correct?

    What is the function of the "plug", is it really in addition to,
    or can it be used in replacment for the last device's
    resistor pak?

    Finally, where can I buy these plugs in small quantities?

Thanks,
Greg

Tarsa Software Consulting
--------------------------------
		33 Seabee Street
		Bedford, NH 03102	tarsa@elijah.mv.com
		(603)668-9226		{decuac,decvax}!elijah!tarsa

wschmidt%decefix@decefix.iao.fhg.de (Wolfram Schmidt) (08/03/90)

Another Question:

Many SCSI host adapters for the AMIGA have external Mac compatible DB25 SCSI
connectors.
If you have internal drives the SCSI bus is terminated at both ends. Good.
If you have external drives ... Good.
If you have both the bus has 3 terminators.
The host adapter sits in the middle of the cable. Shouldn't the host adapter's
terminators be removed? As of my knowledge all HA have them soldered in.

Will SCSI work with this 3 terminators?

Wolfram Schmidt
wschmidt@iao.fhg.de

terry@iti.org (Terry Hull) (08/03/90)

wschmidt%decefix@decefix.iao.fhg.de (Wolfram Schmidt) writes:

>Another Question:

>Many SCSI host adapters for the AMIGA have external Mac compatible DB25 SCSI
>connectors.
>If you have internal drives the SCSI bus is terminated at both ends. Good.
>If you have external drives ... Good.
>If you have both the bus has 3 terminators.
>The host adapter sits in the middle of the cable. Shouldn't the host adapter's
>terminators be removed? As of my knowledge all HA have them soldered in.

>Will SCSI work with this 3 terminators?

It should.  I have a Sun SLC sitting in front of me with a HP and a Wren
drive on it both terminated.  The SLC provides termination also.  Things
work just fine for me.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (08/04/90)

In article <210@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wschmidt@iao.fhg.de (Wolfram Schmidt) writes:
+Another Question:
+
+Many SCSI host adapters for the AMIGA have external Mac compatible DB25 SCSI
+connectors.
+If you have internal drives the SCSI bus is terminated at both ends. Good.
+If you have external drives ... Good.
+If you have both the bus has 3 terminators.
+The host adapter sits in the middle of the cable. Shouldn't the host adapter's
+terminators be removed? As of my knowledge all HA have them soldered in.
+
+Will SCSI work with this 3 terminators?

I don't see any terminators on my A2091 SCSI HA and I do have internal and
external devices

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (08/04/90)

From article <210@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, by wschmidt%decefix@decefix.iao.fhg.de (Wolfram Schmidt):
> Another Question:
>
> Many SCSI host adapters for the AMIGA have external Mac compatible DB25 SCSI
> connectors.
> If you have internal drives the SCSI bus is terminated at both ends. Good.
> If you have external drives ... Good.
> If you have both the bus has 3 terminators.
> The host adapter sits in the middle of the cable. Shouldn't the host adapter's
> terminators be removed? As of my knowledge all HA have them soldered in.
>
> Will SCSI work with this 3 terminators?
>
> Wolfram Schmidt
> wschmidt@iao.fhg.de

SCSI termination is not some magical item that must be there for the bus to
work. It is simply a circuit that is used to eliminate reflections of signals
up and down the cable. It will only do this (to any real effect) when it is
at the physical end of the cable.

Yes, it is possible to operate a SCSI bus with three sets of termination.
Even more than three. But this is not recommended. Each termination network
lowers the impedance to ground, which increases the current each driver
must sink when it drives the line low. Most SCSI drivers are not specefied
to drive over-terminated lines. This means that if you over terminate the
bus, you will prematurely age your drivers best case, or blow them out
worst case.

Note: I tend not to pay alot of attention to termination and often run
overterminated busses. But I don't do this on any permanent setups,
usually leaving a bus overterminated for only a day or two. I have also
never seen a SCSI device burn out it drivers from any cause and have
never seen a bus fail because of too many terminations.

I still do not recommend it and waive all responsibility if you choose
to imitate my foolish actions and end up with ruined drives.

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (08/06/90)

SCSI bus termination always seems to generate a lot of traffic in this
newsgroup.  There is usually a lot of well-intentioned wrong advise in this
traffic.  Let me try to clear up a few points.

As correctly pointed out in one response (sorry, I didn't get the name), SCSI
requires one termination at each end of the bus.

The characteristic impedance (Engineer talk: loosely, this means the
resistance) of the terminator was selected as a compromise betweeen
two factors:
  1) the characteristic impedance of the cable (typically 100 ohms or less)
  2) the current which SCSI drivers are required to drive (48mA at 0.5 volt)

Unfortunately, it is not possible to exactly match the 100 ohm impedance
without exceeding the 48 mA drive current.  SCSI-1 settled for a simple
220/330 ohm termination which has a characteristic impedance of 132 ohms.
This is not ideal and some of the energy from signals is reflected from
the terminator which decreases the SCSI noise margin.  Fortunately, most
SCSI-1 systems functioned perfectly well with this decreased noise margin,
mostly because they did not push the extremes of cable length, transfer
rate, and number of devices.

This 220/330 ohm terminator does not work as well with some SCSI-2
applications, especially when people use the new high-density connector.
This is not a connector problem, but since it is physically smaller, one
has to use smaller cables as well.  Smaller cables tend to have lower
impedance.  Now we are seeing 80 to 90 ohm cables.  Also, as SCSI is being
used for bigger systems, we are seeing maximum length cables with 7 or
8 devices.

Thanks to a lot of hard work from several people including Kurt Chan of
HP and Paul Boulay of LMSI, a new, improved terminator was designed for
SCSI-2 which can still be driven by 48 mA drivers, but has a characteristic
impedance of 110 ohms.  It also cures a nagging problem of low noise
margin from a sagging terminator power line (TERMPWR).  The new terminator
is recommended for SCSI-2, but the old one is still acceptable if your
system is not pushing all the other limits.

I may have digressed a bit, but I wanted to point out that SCSI termination
is important and there are consequences to ignoring it.  I personally lost
two weeks of work when I backed up over a SCSI cable with only one terminator.
I do know of people who have damaged SCSI drivers by having too many
terminators present -- this is rare.  Far more often, they just get
intermittent data errors (I hate intermittent errors!).

The important thing to remember is that SCSI is a transmission line any
time you exceed about 1 foot of cable.  Transmission lines must be terminated
at both ends or you will get reflections which screw up signal quality
(that is, cause errors).  Just because some people have gotten away with
breaking these rules sometimes doesn't mean you will.

Hope this helps...

impedance (Engineer talk: loosely, this means the resistance) of the
terminator was selected as a compromise between matching the characteristic
impedance of the cable and what the SCSI drivers can safely drive.

--
John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye

mk59200@metso.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (08/08/90)

In article <626@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM>, jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM
(John Lohmeyer) writes:
|> Thanks to a lot of hard work from several people including Kurt Chan of
|> HP and Paul Boulay of LMSI, a new, improved terminator was designed for
|> SCSI-2 which can still be driven by 48 mA drivers, but has a characteristic
|> impedance of 110 ohms.

Is this design freely available?  If it is, could it be posted to this
group?

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug8.063528.22915@funet.fi> mk59200@metso.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) writes:

>In article <626@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM>, jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM
>(John Lohmeyer) writes:
>|> Thanks to a lot of hard work from several people including Kurt Chan of
>|> HP and Paul Boulay of LMSI, a new, improved terminator was designed for
>|> SCSI-2 which can still be driven by 48 mA drivers, but has a characteristic
>|> impedance of 110 ohms.
>
>Is this design freely available?  If it is, could it be posted to this
>group?

Yes and Maybe.

Yes, it is part of the SCSI-2 standard.  But I do not have it in an ASCII
format.  It is in AutoCAD format and will soon be posted on the SCSI BBS.
Perhaps some kind soul has time to enter the schematic into a text editor,
but otherwise you will need to get a paper copy from Global Engineering
Documents (714) 261-1455 or (800) 854-7179 [I doubt the 800 number will
work internationally].

--

gson@niksula.hut.fi (08/11/90)

(Kolkka Markku Olavi) writes:
>In article <626@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM>, jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM writes:
>|> [... a new, improved terminator was designed for SCSI-2 ...]
>Is this design freely available?  If it is, could it be posted to this
>group?

The new terminator is described (including schematics and component
values) in an article titled "Push SCSI Performance To The Limit" in
the May 10 issue of Electronic Design.  The article also contains lots
of other useful information about SCSI bus impedances, reflections,
noise margins etc.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Electronic Design except as a
happy reader.
--
Andreas Gustafsson
Internet: gson@niksula.hut.fi