[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec 1542A - Upgrade - 1.2 Mb floppy problems.

goings@felix.UUCP (David Goings) (08/17/90)

Hi,

I have two problems:

I recently inherited an ADAPTEC SCSI CONTROLLER  and...

1. I can not get the ADAPTEC 1542A SCSI controller to recognize or
   read a 1.2 mb floppy disk in a 1.2mb floppy drive. Does the 1542A
   support 1.2mb floppies ?. A very unsupportive sales person told me
   that it "probably did not".

2. Assuming that the 1542A does not support 1.2mb floppies, can the
   1542A be upgraded ?

3. Yes I know I said two... can any one name a good vendor that handles
   the Adaptec products.
FLAME ON
   Hamilton Avnet - personnel - "all technical support is directly
   related to a sale."

   Guess he can't tell me if a new bios will work unless I buy it first ?
FLAME OFF

Thanx

Dave G.

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (08/18/90)

In article <150237@felix.UUCP> goings@felix.UUCP (David Goings) writes:
-1. I can not get the ADAPTEC 1542A SCSI controller to recognize or
-   read a 1.2 mb floppy disk in a 1.2mb floppy drive. Does the 1542A
-   support 1.2mb floppies ?. A very unsupportive sales person told me
-   that it "probably did not".

Not only is the salesperson unsupportive, he is wrong.  My system at home
has a 1.2Mb floppy on a 1542A.  Has the drive/cable worked on another
controller?  Has any other drive worked on the Adaptec?  Did you tell the
PC it has a 1.2Mb drive?  Is the floppy controller on the 1542 enabled?
(J13 installed, J17, J18, and J19 jumpered pins 1 and 2)

Adaptec's number is (408)945-8600.  They will help over the phone, but
they ask for your dealer's name in order to 'better educate' him.

\|/ Michael L. Ardai     ardai@bu-pub.bu.edu
--- ---------------------------------------------------------------
/|\ ...!sun!teda!ardai (preferred)

ajm@icc.com (Al Marmora) (08/20/90)

In article <150237@felix.UUCP> goings@felix.UUCP (David Goings) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have two problems:
>
>I recently inherited an ADAPTEC SCSI CONTROLLER  and...
>
>1. I can not get the ADAPTEC 1542A SCSI controller to recognize or
>   read a 1.2 mb floppy disk in a 1.2mb floppy drive. Does the 1542A
>   support 1.2mb floppies ?. A very unsupportive sales person told me
>   that it "probably did not".

The 1542A indeed does support 1.2MB floppies.

However, your vendor's BIOS may not deal with the floppy controller
in a socially acceptable manner.  For example, on my Everex STEP 25/386,
if I initially boot on a 1.2MB floppy, I can only access 1.2MB floppies;
attempting to read or write a 360K diskette fails.  If I boot on a 360K
floppy I can only access 360K floppies.

I questioned Roy Neese at Adaptec about this, [sure miss adaptex... provided
much more help than Adaptec's telephone support ever did] and he indicated
that the problem was with the computer's BIOS.  This was confirmed when I
installed VP/ix (MS-DOS under unix) which uses a different (Phoenix) BIOS.
When running under VP/ix the floppy access problems went away.

I believe the Everex BIOS is based on AMI's BIOS;  Does anyone out their
know if the vanilla AMI BIOS has this problem?

[at the time (early 1989) Everex claimed to be looking at the problem.
I recently (mid-1990) tried the 1542A in a new Everex machine, and the
problem still existed]

--al