[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI specs ?

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/22/90)

I find myself needing to learn about this stuff.

Where can I get copies of the Official Specifications for SCSI,
SCSI-1, SCSI-2, synchronous SCSI, and all the other variants?  Are
they standards sanctioned by ISO, ANSI, IEEE, or some other such body?
Is there an industry SCSI association, much like there are for folks
who work with VME and Multibus?  Any recommended books?

kev@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Kevin Jones) (02/27/90)

SCSI1 is an ANSI standard.
SCSI2 is due to become an ANSI standard.

For copies of the SCSI specs try:

Global Engineering Documents,
2805 McGaw,
Irvine,
CA 92714
(800) 854-7179 or (714) 261-1455.
Ref Document X3.131-198X.

The ANSI comitte developing SCSI is known as "X3T9.2"
Its chairman is:

John Lohmeyer (X3T9.2 Chairman)
NCR Corporation
3718 N. Rock Rd.
Wichita, KS 67226

EMAIL: jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer)

There is a SCSI Bulletin Board:

SCSI BBS 316-636-8700 300/1200/2400 24 hours

(I am told that SCSI specs are available in electronic form on this).

Kevin Jones.                       | Hewlett Packard Ltd,
kev%hpcpbla@hplb.hpl.hp.com        | Filton Road,
                                   | Stoke Gifford,
Tel: 011 44 272 799910 (ext 22351) | Bristol.   BS12 6QZ.
                                   | ENGLAND.

This response does not represent the official position of, or
statement by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is
provided for informational purposes only. It is supplied
without warranty of any kind.

gdtltr@maplenut.it.udel.edu (Gary Duzan) (03/01/90)

In article <3250001@hpcpbla.HP.COM> kev@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Kevin Jones) writes:
=>
=>There is a SCSI Bulletin Board:
=>
=>SCSI BBS 316-636-8700 300/1200/2400 24 hours
=>
=>(I am told that SCSI specs are available in electronic form on this).
=>
   True, but they are zipped WordStar files. You will need unzip and WordStar
to get the things readable. If anyone has a straight ASCII version of this
stuff, I would appreciate it. Thanx.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

                          gdtltr@freezer.it.udel.edu
      _o_                 --------------------------                 _o_
    [|o o|]     "My field is blood and guts programming." -- Me    [|o o|]
     |_O_|      "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who     |_O_|

kc@hprnd.HP.COM (Kurt Chan) (03/01/90)

>Where can I get copies of the Official Specifications for SCSI,
>SCSI-1, SCSI-2, synchronous SCSI, and all the other variants?

Copies of the most recent SCSI-2 draft can be purchased through:

        Global Engineering Documents
        2805 McGaw
        Irvine, CA 92714
        800-854-7179 or 714-261-1455

Refer to document X3.131-198x.

> Are they standards sanctioned by ISO, ANSI, IEEE, or some other such body?
> Is there an industry SCSI association, much like there are for folks
> who work with VME and Multibus?

SCSI falls under the jurisdiction of ANSI X3T9.2. The SCSI bulletin board
(316-636-8700) in Wichita has membership/meeting information, as well as
some on-line documents which may be useful.

> Any recommended books?

Try SCSI: Understanding the Small Computer System Interface,
published by Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-796855-8.

af@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Alessandro Forin) (09/03/90)

Where can I get the most up-to-date SCSI specs ?
I have seen refs to it as an ANSI standard, are that the ones ?
What's ANSI's address, is there an online copy ?

Thanks,
sandro-
PS: I have not been able to unpack those arc files in Unix, but I can
be convinced to retry :-((
 Alessandro Forin / School of Computer Science / Carnegie-Mellon University
 Schenley Park / Pittsburgh, PA 15213 / Ph: (412) 268-6861
 ARPA: af@cs.cmu.edu

kc@hprnd.HP.COM (Kurt Chan) (09/04/90)

> Where can I get the most up-to-date SCSI specs ?
> I have seen refs to it as an ANSI standard, are that the ones ?
> What's ANSI's address, is there an online copy ?

Copies can be purchased from: Global Engineering Documents
                              2805 McGaw
                              Irvine, CA 92714
                              800-854-7179

The document is referred to as "X3.131-198x".

Some of us with working copies also know it as "X3T9.2/86-109, Revision 10C"

Kurt Chan
Hewlett-Packard
Roseville Networks Division