[comp.periphs.scsi] Need help with Sun SCSI DB50 <--> Centronics

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (09/01/90)

    I want to daisy chain some peripherals from a Sun 3/60.
I have a DB50 <--> Centronics SCSI cable that is supposed to
work with the 3/60.

    1. I took an old tape drive from a Sun shoebox that had
       and Adaptec ST506-SCSI board in it. The tape drive has
       an MT02 board. I don't know anything about that board.
       Is it terminated? It looks like it has two resister packs
       missing, but I'm not sure. Also, it has some dip switches.
       What should they be set to?

    2. I bought a new Wren IV 94171-307 drive and I want to
       daisy chain it with the tape drive. I removed all the
       jumpers and terminator resistors except the terminator power
       jumper which is set to take power from the Wren IV.
       I want to externally terminate the Wren IV.

   3.  I want to run Centronics scsi cables from each peripheral.
       Can I use the external SCSI terminator blocks that I use
       with my Mac II to terminate the Sun SCSI chain?

   4. One symptom I am getting is that a peripheral will not power
      up when the SCSI cable from the Sun [or mac] is attached but
      powers up immediately if I remove the cable. The motor start
      option is disabled.

         ---Jason  jason@cs.utexas.edu

gary@dgcad.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (09/02/90)

In article <290@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>    I want to daisy chain some peripherals from a Sun 3/60.
>I have a DB50 <--> Centronics SCSI cable that is supposed to
>work with the 3/60.
>   4. One symptom I am getting is that a peripheral will not power
>      up when the SCSI cable from the Sun [or mac] is attached but
>      powers up immediately if I remove the cable. The motor start
>      option is disabled.

This is the symptom of a cable mis-match.
It was at this point that I sat down and read the Sun 3/60 pinouts and the
WREN pinouts and the pinouts of the peripheral box I was using and
discovered that the Sun 3/60 was, well, different.  Something like
SCSI A versuss SCSI-B.   Why do we need more that one SCSI you ask -
and I reply RS232.  "Standard" means something else than what us poor
users think, I guess.
Never could get exteral termination to work.  Tried hard.
Never could get oldish 3/60 boxes to work with newish peripherals on the
same wire but didn't try too hard.  With a WREN VI the 70MB shoebox just
wasn't that interesting anymore.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary

steven@flood.uucp (Steven Beard) (09/06/90)

In article <290@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>    I want to daisy chain some peripherals from a Sun 3/60.
>I have a DB50 <--> Centronics SCSI cable that is supposed to
>work with the 3/60.
>
>    1. I took an old tape drive from a Sun shoebox that had
>       and Adaptec ST506-SCSI board in it. The tape drive has
>       an MT02 board. I don't know anything about that board.
>       Is it terminated? It looks like it has two resister packs
>       missing, but I'm not sure. Also, it has some dip switches.
>       What should they be set to?

The MT02 board can be terminated by inserting two resistor networks
in the sockets near the SCSI connector. If you plan to use external
termination these are not needed. I can dig out the part numbers
if anyone really needs them. Let me know.
The switches set the tape format, the SCSI address, and SCSI parity.
For the Sun 3/60 they are set as follows:
	1	off
	2	off
	3	on
	4	off
	5	on
	6	off
	7	off
	8	off
For more information see the MT02 manual which can be obtained from EMULEX.

>    2. I bought a new Wren IV 94171-307 drive and I want to
>       daisy chain it with the tape drive. I removed all the
>       jumpers and terminator resistors except the terminator power
>       jumper which is set to take power from the Wren IV.
>       I want to externally terminate the Wren IV.
>
>   3.  I want to run Centronics scsi cables from each peripheral.
>       Can I use the external SCSI terminator blocks that I use
>       with my Mac II to terminate the Sun SCSI chain?

The MacII external terminators will work with the Sun if terminator
power is available on the SCSI cable. Unfortunately the 3/60 does not
supply terminator power and to make matters worse the pin is grounded
in the 3/60. You will need to modify your DB-50 to Centro 50 cable
to disconnect the terminator power line to the 3/60 and then provide
power to the line. Some Wren models can be jumpered to provide terminator
power to the bus. It is also possible to provide terminator power from
the MT02 by adding a diode (see the EMULEX manual). If neither of these
options is workable, you can connect it thru a diode to the +5 supply
in the disk case. Use a diode with a low voltage drop. In all cases
I suggest that you add a fuse in the terminator power line to prevent
accidental damage to the drive or power supply in case of problems.
Values of 1 to 1 1/2 Amps are typical. We run all of our 3/60s and
SPARCs in this manner and have had no problems.

A word of caution is necessary regarding the type of cento 50 male-male
cables used in this setup. There are currently a large number of companies
importing these cables from offshore. Most of these cables are cheaply
made and do not meet the SCSI specifications. These cheap cables do not
use twisted pairs and are poorly sheilded. Cables which do not use twisted
pair have a lot of crosstalk between the wires and do not work consistently.
They often appear to work but connected devices will fail at random and
the Sun may also hang randomly. Often moving the cable to flex the wires
will change the behavior. The following minimum specifications are recommended
for SCSI cables:

	19 twisted pairs (38 wires, 19 signal, 19 ground)
	Both foil and braid shield
	Shielded connectors with cable braid connected 100% around
	  connector

The bad cables have only a foil shield and 25 wires (19 signal and
6 ground). It is often hard to find a good cable. I have had companies
tell me that they meet the specification and after cutting a cable
apart have found that they lied or didn't really know in the first
place. Price does not seem to be much of an indicator. I have purchased
$50 cables that are made wrong and $15 cables that are correct. With a
little effort I can generate a list of a few companies that can supply
correct cables. If anyone is interested let me know. Many companies
sell both kinds or don't know what they sell so beware. As a general
rule, if a companies salesman doen't understand the issue then he is
selling the low quality cable.

For the skeptics in the crowd I am willing to admit that the lower
quality cables can work, or at least work most of the time. But I
have completely trashed the file systems on two disks as a direct
result of using them. Synchronous SCSI disks like the Wren-Runner
almost never work reliably with the low quality cables.

>   4. One symptom I am getting is that a peripheral will not power
>      up when the SCSI cable from the Sun [or mac] is attached but
>      powers up immediately if I remove the cable. The motor start
>      option is disabled.

This is caused by improper termination of the SCSI bus. When using
the 3/60 it happens even with a terminator because the terminator
power line is grounded in the 3/60.

>         ---Jason  jason@cs.utexas.edu

	Steven
	The Flood Group