[comp.periphs.scsi] HDI Warning

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) (09/06/90)

If you are planning to purchase a hard drive soon from Hard Drives
International (HDI), be sure to emphasize that you would like a
TESTED drive and the CORRECT CORDS.  I convinced a Mac user at work
that he should buy from these guys, since I had purchased a POWERDrive
Quantum 105meg for my //GS a month ago and have been very happy with it.
Well, he got his drive yesterday.  It came with a EUROPEAN power cord!
(Notice we live in Oregon)  He stole the cord from his printer to power
it up, and the drive was totally dead!

I have heard of only one other person through the net that has had problems
with HDI.  Is there incompetence common, or are these just flukes?

Nothing against HDI's drives, once you get a functional one (they have good
prices, too).  I love mine.  I'm just concerned that I have recommended an
irresponsible company.

Dale LaFountain
dalel@servio.SLC.COM

weihrich@uniol.UUCP (Thomas Weihrich) (09/08/90)

dalel@servio.UUCP (Dale LaFountain) writes:

>If you are planning to purchase a hard drive soon from Hard Drives
>International (HDI), be sure to emphasize that you would like a
>TESTED drive and the CORRECT CORDS.  I convinced a Mac user at work
> stuff deleted
>Well, he got his drive yesterday.  It came with a EUROPEAN power cord!
>(Notice we live in Oregon)  He stole the cord from his printer to power
>it up, and the drive was totally dead!
No wonder.
220 Volts are standard in Europe.

Thomas Weihrich
weihrich@uniol.uucp
bitnet : 025482@doluni1
> We had joy, we had fun, we had PACMAN for the SUN ... <

alien@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Tom von Alten) (09/08/90)

Hmmm...  is it just a coincidence that HDI is an abbreviation for
head/disk interference?   Probably  :-)

really - just _my_ opinions

ed@sli.com (Ed Dekker) (09/14/90)

I have had a problem with Hard Drives International.  I ordered the external
mount kit for my Colorado Jumbo tape drive.  They shipped the kit without the
adapter board.  When I called they tried to convince me that I needed to order
the board separatly (for another $100).  I called Colorado to confirm this an
was told that the board WAS part of the kit and that Colorado has had "lots of
these problems with HDI".  HDI did send the board after I told them of the
conversation with Colorado.  I do not plan to do business with HDI in the
future.

	Ed