[comp.periphs.scsi] Ques: how to indicate medium removed

srm@Matrix.COM (Steve Morris) (09/12/90)

How does a SCSI drive (Syquest) indicate that the (removable) medium
is not currently present? Is there something more descriptive than
receiving the UNIT ATTENTION sense key from a REQUEST SENSE command?

Thanks for your help.

| Steve Morris                         srm@matrix.com         |
| Matrix Corporation                   mcnc!matrx!srm         |
| 1203 New Hope Road                   (919)231-8000 Telephone|

kev@hpcpbla.HP.COM (Kevin Jones) (09/13/90)

Knowing nothing about this drive :-)
My GUESS would be........

Following a Check Condition'ed TEST UNIT READY,
issue a REQUEST SENSE COMMAND.
If bytes 12 and 13 of the data returned = 3A00 Hex, this indicates
"Medium Not Present"  (ANSI SCSI2).

Kevin Jones.                       | Hewlett Packard Ltd,
kev%hpcpbla@hplb.hpl.hp.com        | Filton Road,
                                   | Stoke Gifford,
Tel: 011 44 272 799910 (ext 22351) | Bristol.   BS12 6QZ.
                                   | ENGLAND.

This response does not represent the official position of, or
statement by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is
provided for informational purposes only. It is supplied
without warranty of any kind.

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (09/14/90)

In comp.periphs.scsi, article <1990Sep11.191040.24715@Matrix.COM>,
  srm@matrx.matrix.com (Steve Morris) writes:
<
< How does a SCSI drive (Syquest) indicate that the (removable) medium
< is not currently present? Is there something more descriptive than
< receiving the UNIT ATTENTION sense key from a REQUEST SENSE command?
<
Yes -- if the drive is stopped, you'll get a UNIT NOT READY.
Presumably, trying to start the drive would indicate whether a medium is
present. ;-)
(The sense data might also show this, but I didn't test it.)

Unit Attention should only show up when the drive is up again.

It might make sense to prevent the user from removing the medium if a volume
is mounted on it / if the device is opened.
Assuming, of course, that you have an OS whose drivers can find out such
things. (MacOS or Unix drivers can.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /o)\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \(o/

mwandel@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Markus Wandel) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep11.191040.24715@Matrix.COM> srm@matrx.matrix.com (Steve Morris) writes:

>How does a SCSI drive (Syquest) indicate that the (removable) medium
>is not currently present? Is there something more descriptive than
>receiving the UNIT ATTENTION sense key from a REQUEST SENSE command?

Just do a "test unit ready" command -- that's what it's there for.  Also,
the "mode sense" data has a "media present" bit in it, but that may be only
for tapes.

Markus Wandel