[comp.periphs.scsi] scsi disk to sparcstation 1

esa@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Esa K Viitala) (09/19/90)

Hi,

I want to use a SCSI disk I happen to have. My machine is a Sun
SPARCstation 1.

Local (Norwegian) Sun dealer says my disk is unsupported and they won't
help me. (They "support" their own brand which twice as expensive as
the Micropolis 1588 I have).

I have a Sun SPARCstation 1 as a server and want to plug in a Micropolis
scsi disk, model 1588 (668MB formatted).

Problems start with cabling: Sun cables look different to Micropolis'
cables. Both the Norwegian Sun dealer and the ones I bought the
Micropolis disk claim their plugs confirm to "scsi standards", whatever
that is. Micropolis plug looks as a parallel if plug (Centronix) to me,
with 50 "pins" in it. Sun cables are "normal" as delivered by Sun
Microsystems together with their equipment.

Anybody there who can explain to me how to connect the Micropolis 1588
to my Sun station?

Next problem is how to format the disk. Hints, anyone?

Thirdly I want to configure the server such that we are able to use the
disk? How? Somebody somewhere must have made all this before, please let me
know how.

I will be glad to summarize, if not worldwide, at least to the Norwegian
Netters. I'll be glad to give you pointers to cheap disks as well.

(We have about 40 machines throughout the country, beeing able to buy
cheap disks makes difference to us).
--
Esa Viitala
TOLLPOST-GLOBE A/S, Systemavdeling, PO Box 100, N6301 ]ndalsnes, Norway

will@presto.ig.com (Will Nelson) (09/22/90)

In article <1000@tglobe2.tollpost-globe>, esa@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Esa K Viitala) writes:

> I have a Sun SPARCstation 1 as a server and want to plug in a Micropolis
> scsi disk, model 1588 (668MB formatted).
>
> Problems start with cabling: Sun cables look different to Micropolis'
> cables. Both the Norwegian Sun dealer and the ones I bought the
> Micropolis disk claim their plugs confirm to "scsi standards", whatever
> that is. Micropolis plug looks as a parallel if plug (Centronix) to me,
> with 50 "pins" in it. Sun cables are "normal" as delivered by Sun
> Microsystems together with their equipment.
>
> Anybody there who can explain to me how to connect the Micropolis 1588
> to my Sun station?

I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced.
Here is the deal:

What you need is a cable with a 50-pin SCSI connector
on one end and a Micro-miniature SCSI connector on the
other end. Such a cable is available from

	CS Electronics
	1342 Bell Avenue
	Tustin, CA 92680
	USA
	(714) 259-9100

The price is $60.00. Just tell them that you want a
6 ft. (or any length) SPARCSTATION CABLE (socket on one end).

The only kludge in dealing with external SCSI drives on SPARCstations
is that you must jumper it as SCSI target 0, LUN 0,
but when you refer to it in software, it becomes
SCSI disk 3. In other words, to boot the disk,
or format it, refer to it as:

	> b sd(0,3,0)

I assume you already have a format.dat entry that has
all of the number of cylinders, number of sectors per
track, etc. If not, you will need to acquire such
information from the person who sold you the disk,
or directly from Micropolis.
--
Will Nelson			Internet: will@presto.ig.com
Intelligenetics, Inc.		Uucp:     ames!ig.com!presto!will
Will Nelson			Internet: will@presto.ig.com
Intelligenetics, Inc.		Uucp:     ames!ig.com!presto!will
700 East El Camino Real		(415) 962-7363
Mountain View, CA  94040

ksh@vine.COM (Kent S. Harris) (09/22/90)

I see a lot of references to third-party disks because they are cheaper
than going with a workstation's OEM.  MacLand, in the back of MACWORLD
magazine, is selling standalone (so called 'external') 600MB drives for
about $2K.  I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer!  I have
noticed a few ads for still less money but I can only atest to MacLand's
prompt service (2-day Federal Express).

This is just FYI.

--
Kent S. Harris		...!ames!vine!ksh
Vine Technology		Unix/VMS/VxWorks/pSOS/etc.

robinson@durham.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (09/27/90)

A recent blurb in InfoWorld stated that Hard Drives Int'l had reduced
the price of their 1GB drives to $2,995 for the Mac version (the DOS
version has a controller card in it).  I've used smaller sizes of their
drives as root & swap units for otherwise diskless workstations, and
have had no troubles.

Gerard Robinson, UNC-CH School of Medicine, Office of Information Systems