[comp.periphs.scsi] PC SCSI interface

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (09/21/90)

What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?
I see some really cheap ($30-40) boards advertised,
while others are much more expensive.
What is the difference?
Any info on actual boards,
and experience using them,
gratefully received.

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep20.175400.18626@maths.tcd.ie>
tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) writes:
> What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive (a) on a PC/XT, (b) on
> an AT?  I see some really cheap ($30-40) boards advertised, while others
> are much more expensive.  What is the difference?  Any info on actual
> boards, and experience using them, gratefully received.
>
>Timothy Murphy
>e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

It really depends more on what OS you're going to be running, not on the
machine.  If you're going to run UNIX or some other multiprocessing OS, then
the more expensive boards (e.g. the Apaptec 154x series) are nicer to have.
This kind of board does 1st party DMA - moves bytes from disk to memory
all by itself - which frees up the CPU for other tasks.

Unfortunately, this type of offloading has a rather high overhead on each
command.  The cheap boards require the CPU to move the bytes around, but
generally have much lower overhead.  So, if you use DOS, the expensive
bus-mastering boards are actually slower than their cheap counterparts.

Of course, when buying a cheap board it's often hard to know which firm is
reputable: we had one manufacturer that claimed a 10x jump in transfer rate
for any drive.  Well, we tested it and sure enough, the benchmark showed
that this little poky 200k/s seagate was doing 2M/s.  Since this was
physically impossible, we investigated and found that interrupts were
deliberately being disabled in the BIOS, presumably to prevent the timer
from ticking, thus giving a skewed reading on the benchmark.

I realize that you would like names rather than general advice, but other
than the Adaptec 154x (good for UNIX), there are no other boards that I can
give a positive recomendation for.  Hope this helps.

- Tim Iverson
  uunet!xstor!iverson

rkumar@rnd.GBA.NYU.EDU (Rachna Kumar) (09/26/90)

I am looking for a software which will allow me at read/write to a video buffer through its SCSI interface.  I can use the SCSI port from MAC or PC for this purpose.  This way I will be able to save the video image from the buffer to the removal hard disk for later viewing.

Are there any softwares availble which will allow me to do this?  Do I have to write my own SCSI driver for this purpose?  How much work will this be?  Are there any good books available on this topic?

I need all the help I can get.  I am new to this so any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Tim Bowser) (09/27/90)

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) writes:

>What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
>(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?

a: Seagate ST-01 or -02, depending on where the floppy controller is.

b: DPT's SCSI Host adaptor or Adaptec's 154xB SCSI Host Adaptor.  Be
forewarned that the Adaptec did not work in my clone machine with an early
model AST XFormer 286 motherboard.  DMA Arbitration conflicts.  It is
running magnificently in my 386SX machine under SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT.
--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Grant Bair) (09/27/90)

>tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) writes:
>
>>What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
>>(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?

I can't comment upon (a), but as regards (b) we use the Western Digital WD7000
boards for all SCSI I/O. This is not only to regular SCSI  hard drives, but
also to Crosfield Studio systems, optical disks and SCSI printers. We've had no
problems in general. The only exceptions we've noted are:

1) If you have a NEC 386/25MHz it's a no-go (this NEC is not considered a true
   AT-clone)

2) If you want to use VM/386 or a similar product in conjunction with more than
   one (virtual or physical) drive.

Grant.

|Grant C Blair, DuPont Imaging Systems, Newark, DE 19702, USA                 |
|blair@pyro.ei.dupont.com (192.58.195.64)        (302)-733-9533               |

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/29/90)

> >What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
> >(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?
>
> a: Seagate ST-01 or -02, depending on where the floppy controller is.

You should either buy a Yugo...

> b: DPT's SCSI Host adaptor or Adaptec's 154xB SCSI Host Adaptor.

or else buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.

Why oh why aren't there any "midsize" SCSI host adapters?
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
I wonder if you can refuse to inherit the world. -- Calvin

tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu (09/30/90)

In <190@thor.UUCP> scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
>> >What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
>> >(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?
>>
>> a: Seagate ST-01 or -02, depending on where the floppy controller is.
>You should either buy a Yugo...
>> b: DPT's SCSI Host adaptor or Adaptec's 154xB SCSI Host Adaptor.
>or else buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.
>Why oh why aren't there any "midsize" SCSI host adapters?

What about Future Domain?

Tim

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/01/90)

tim@ziggurat.gg.caltech.edu writes:

>What about Future Domain?

Future Domain throughput is so very slow as compared
against the Adaptec 1542

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/01/90)

In article <190@thor.UUCP> scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
>> >What board would you advise for using a SCSI drive
>> >(a) on a PC/XT, (b) on an AT?
>>
>> a: Seagate ST-01 or -02, depending on where the floppy controller is.
>
>You should either buy a Yugo...
>
>> b: DPT's SCSI Host adaptor or Adaptec's 154xB SCSI Host Adaptor.
>
>or else buy a Cadillac or a Lincoln.
>
>Why oh why aren't there any "midsize" SCSI host adapters?
>----
>Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones

Oh, but there are.  There is the Adaptec 1520, about $160.  I'm personally
looking for a SCSI interface for my Mylex 33mhz 386, and I was talking to a
technician at Direct Drives (check Computer Shopper).  I was looking for a
SCSI-2 interface, and the 1520 is one, and it is designed as a mid-range
controller.  It supports SCSI-1 (a subset of 2), although it is not as fast
as the SCSI-2 standard is supposed to be (up to 5 meg/sec), it is
comparable, if not a bit faster than the SCSI-1.  It looks good to me,
because I want a SCSI-2 drive (I'm open for suggestions, if anyone has
any), and the only ones I found were Quantum drives, and they only go upt
to 170 mb (the 210's are out of stock until December).  I don't want a
SCSI-1 drive because I'd like to stay with the new stuff instead of the
outgoing SCSI-1.

Vince

Stallion                                                                Tigger
| Rolm     :                     (212) 853-6043                              |
| USnail   :   533 John Jay Hall, Columbia University, NY, NY  10027         |
| INTERNET :             liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu                       |
| BITNET   :                  liggio@cunixf.bitnet                           |
| UUCP     :          {rutgers,topaz}!columbia!cunixf!liggio                 |