[comp.periphs.scsi] Types of Adaptec SCSI controllers

keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) (10/11/90)

What are the differences between the Adaptec 1542A and 1542B?  I gather
that both handle floppy and hard disks.  I also understand that there is
a 1540 (?) that is hard disk only.  If someone has a list of the currently
common types of Adaptec SCSI controllers with brief descriptions, I would
appreciate receiving it.  Barring that, an address or telephone number
for Adaptec would do as most of the local sales droids respond with
"... and could you describe what that board is?".

Thanks.

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) (10/12/90)

In article <25668@sequoia.execu.com> keith@execu.com writes:
>Barring that, an address or telephone number
>for Adaptec would do as most of the local sales droids respond with
>"... and could you describe what that board is?".

Adaptec, Inc.
691 South Milpitas Blvd.,
Milpitas, CA, 95035

.

--
"No one had the guts... until now..." -New Anti-Repression Convert (NARC)
|-NARCotic $anjay [+] $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca] -|

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (10/12/90)

In article <25668@sequoia.execu.com> keith@execu.com writes:
>What are the differences between the Adaptec 1542A and 1542B?  I gather
>that both handle floppy and hard disks.  I also understand that there is
>a 1540 (?) that is hard disk only.  If someone has a list of the currently
>common types of Adaptec SCSI controllers with brief descriptions, I would
>appreciate receiving it.  Barring that, an address or telephone number
>for Adaptec would do as most of the local sales droids respond with
>"... and could you describe what that board is?".
>
>Thanks.

The 1542B is just the newest release of the board, so don't let a dealer
stiff you with the older A version.

The phone # for Adaptec is (408) 945-8600, BTW.

Vince

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (10/14/90)

In article <25668@sequoia.execu.com> keith@execu.com writes:
>What are the differences between the Adaptec 1542A and 1542B?  I gather

Having owned both 1542A and 1542B controllers the only obvious differences
are that the A is a full length card while the B is a half-length card.
In addition, the Systos 3.0 software that came with my Tandy SCSI tape
drive (a 1542) no longer works with the 1542B (under MS-DOS).

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408