[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI to ST506?????

woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher Widmann) (10/17/90)

  I just found among my piles of PC boards a board about the width and
length dimensions of a 5.25" drive. It is labled as a DTC 510X. It has a
set of scsi id jumpers, a resistor pack and the 50 pin input and the
standard 34pin/2x20pin outs for some sort of ST506 interface. I don't
know if it is SCSI to RLL, SCSI to MFM or even how to set it up
correctly to work with either an MFM or RLL drive.

  My WD7000FAST SCSI Exerciser finds a device on the id I set it to,
but locks the system up in trying to get its device type and
manufacturers code. Does anyone out there is SCSIland have one
of these that they are using and can point me in the right direction
on what exact interface it is, and how to set some of the jumpers on
this card? Please? Thanks.

						Chris Widmann
						woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu

Chris Widmann ---------------------------------------------------------------
 woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu - Rensselaer PolyTechniTortureTute
"Life is like an ice cream cone, you lick it one day at a time"-Charlie Brown

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (10/19/90)

In article <NZZ%D_$@rpi.edu> woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher Widmann) writes:

>  I just found among my piles of PC boards a board about the width and
>length dimensions of a 5.25" drive. It is labled as a DTC 510X. It has a
>set of scsi id jumpers, a resistor pack and the 50 pin input and the
>standard 34pin/2x20pin outs for some sort of ST506 interface.

	I'm not sure about the 'X' suffix, but I have some DTC 510B's, and
they're not SCSI, they're SASI; you might be locking up your system because
the ATN\ line (pin 32) on a SASI controller is ALWAYS grounded (hard-wired).
Check with an ohmmeter.
	Except for the ATN\ wire, the interface is similar to SCSI, and
if you're willing to write your own driver, it can be used with a SCSI
system.  You WILL have to disconnect the wire in the harness leading to
that pesky pin 32.
	The controller is intended for one or two hard disk drives using
the ST506/ST412 interface, MFM.

Jumpers (DTC 510B)positions designated by letter/number grid marked on board:

4C to 5C labeled 'parity' enables parity on input
                  (parity always enabled on output)
7F to 7E jumpers labeled SECT512 and SECT1024

      SECT512    SECT1024          sector size

        out        out             256
        in         out             512
        out        in             1024
        in         in             1024

7E to 8E jumpers for controller ID; connect any one to specify ID

Factory settings: Parity IN, sector size 512

Terminator resistor packs located 3F and RP1

Connectors:
	J6: SASI
 	J1: hard disk control interface (34 pin)
	J2, J3: hard disk data interface (20 pin)
	J10: DC power; pin 1 NC, pin 2 GND, pin 3 GND, pin 4 5Vdc, 2.6A

If you should require full information, I think DTC is still in business

	Data Technology Corporation
	2775 Northwestern Parkway
	Santa Clara, CA 95051
	(408) 496-0434