[comp.periphs.scsi] Dead ST277N

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (10/19/90)

>In article <Mb7tSki00Uzx83I8EY@andrew.cmu.edu> vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:
>We have an external SCSI hard drive for a Macintosh (Ehman, for those
>who are interested) containing a Seagate ST277N which is not
>functioning.  From what I can tell, there is something wrong with the
>SCSI controller.  When we power up the drive, it makes some noises
>(though it doesn't get as far as it normally does) and then the access
>light blinks 8 times.  This looks to me like some sort of a diagnostic
>but I don't know what it means.  I have several questions:

[...]

It would be nice to have this information posted to the net. Seagate
drives do occasionally fail, and it would be nice to know why :-)

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/20/90)

We have an external SCSI hard drive for a Macintosh (Ehman, for those
who are interested) containing a Seagate ST277N which is not
functioning.  From what I can tell, there is something wrong with the
SCSI controller.  When we power up the drive, it makes some noises
(though it doesn't get as far as it normally does) and then the access
light blinks 8 times.  This looks to me like some sort of a diagnostic
but I don't know what it means.  I have several questions:

First, obviously, does anyone know what this means?  Is it a simple
problem that I might be able to fix, or would it definitely require
service?

Second, if you don't know what it means, does anyone have a telephone
number for Seagate?

Third, can anyone suggest a place to have the drive fixed if I can't do
it myself?  (Price is a major concern, though we would obviously like a
place that people have had good experiences with.)

Please email replies as I'd like to get the info as fast as possible and
our news readers/processors are a little slow.

| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |