[comp.periphs.scsi] SCSI cable -- AMP vs Amphenol trivia

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (10/30/90)

>I've heard that the Sun "micro-miniature SCSI" connectors are made by
>Honda.  I've also been told that 3M now makes an equivalent connector.
>AMP (Amphenol) also makes them, since they are on the cables I have
 ^^^  ^^^^^^^^

Years ago I was under the impression that AMP and Amphenol were the
same thing.  That was until I called AMP to get a price quote on an
Amphenol connector.  Oops!  The AMP person politely but firmly
"corrected" me to embarrasment. :-)

So, to avoid your own red-face syndrome:
Amphenol, 2122 York Rd, Oak Brook IL 60521
AMP Inc, Harrisburg PA 17055  717-564-0100
(may not be up to date)

Al

--

Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct29.163547.4065@tc.fluke.COM> alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) writes:
>>I've heard that the Sun "micro-miniature SCSI" connectors are made by
>>Honda.  I've also been told that 3M now makes an equivalent connector.
>>AMP (Amphenol) also makes them, since they are on the cables I have
> ^^^  ^^^^^^^^
>
>Years ago I was under the impression that AMP and Amphenol were the
>same thing.  That was until I called AMP to get a price quote on an
>Amphenol connector.  Oops!  The AMP person politely but firmly
>"corrected" me to embarrasment. :-)
>
>So, to avoid your own red-face syndrome:
>Amphenol, 2122 York Rd, Oak Brook IL 60521
>AMP Inc, Harrisburg PA 17055  717-564-0100
>(may not be up to date)

Urp!  You are quite right.  I even knew that once upon a time.  It seems
like with names and product lines so similar, it would be impossible --
one company or the other would be forced to change their name.  Anyway,
the connectors I have here are AMP!

--
   ...Chris Johnson          chris@c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522