[comp.periphs.scsi] More addresses for SCSI bus

bhnnessy@swift.cs.tcd.ie (12/05/90)

I am investigating the viability of a RAID(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks)system. This would require the connection of about 20 disks. However only a few  SCSI addresses are available to connect the system. To get around this problem I was wonder
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Bryan Hennessy,       bhnnessy@cs.tcd.ie
University of Dublin, Trinity College,
IRELAND.
#! rnews 1472
Newsgroups: rec.scuba
Subject: Query - PRICES

israel@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Paul Israel) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.175834.7595@swift.cs.tcd.ie> bhnnessy@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>I am investigating the viability of a RAID(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks)system. This would require the connection of about 20 disks. However only a few  SCSI addresses are available to connect the system. To get around this problem I was wonder
>Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

   As I understand it, SCSI standards define an option called a LUN,
or "Logical Unit Number", which is provided as an three bit field in
SCSI command headers. Apparently, this field, in combination with a SCSI
address, is used for accessing up to 256 separate devices on one SCSI bus.
To use this, eight devices are accessed through a single SCSI controller
interface, thus using up only one SCSI address. A typical configuration
might consist of a single SCSI-to-ESDI controller, which in turn would
talk to eight ESDI hard disks. All eight disks are accessed via the same
SCSI address, but different LUN's. The other 7 SCSI addresses are then
still available for other combinations of devices. Three such controller/
disk configurations on the same SCSI bus would then give you 24 disks.

   I'm afraid I can't point out a specific vendor who's implementing
these features, but I'd be very surprised if someone somewhere isn't doing
it. This would appear the most efficient solution to your problem.
--
Paul Israel
Renegade Systems, 434 South Bernardo Ave, #2 Sunnyvale, CA 94086