[comp.periphs.scsi] Moving to different controller type

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (12/06/90)

In article <448@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>I have a related question here.  I formatted and installed Xenix
>2.3.2 on a machine using and Adaptec 1542b with a Wren Runner
>hard drive.  I then put this hard disk into a Tandy 4000 with an
>older Adaptec 1540 (the original Tandy version without the
>connector on the back).  I then had to re-install Xenix from
>scratch since the disk couldn't be read by the older controller.

I have seen this also.  There is obviously some difference in the way
that the older controllers and the newer ones see the disk.

'Course...noone has ever guarenteed this sort of thing to work, so I
didn't get to upset when it happened to me.

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

chuckl@chips.com (Chuck Linsley) (12/07/90)

In article <448@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>I have a related question here.  I formatted and installed Xenix
>2.3.2 on a machine using and Adaptec 1542b with a Wren Runner
>hard drive.  I then put this hard disk into a Tandy 4000 with an
>older Adaptec 1540 (the original Tandy version without the
>connector on the back).  I then had to re-install Xenix from
>scratch since the disk couldn't be read by the older controller.

One common difference between host adapters is a different algorithm
for converting cylinder-head-sector (CHS) disk addresses to SCSI logical
block addresses (LBA).  (Even with *NIX, the INT 13H routine is used
at boot time, until the OS's driver is read from the disk.  INT 13H
uses CHS addresses.)  If the host adapters use different algorithms
for the conversion, the new BIOS will look for the data at a different
location on the disk than the old BIOS wrote it.

Some adapters do the conversion based on the drive's real physical
geometry, but INT 13 has a limit of 1024 cylinders, and many large
SCSI disks are bigger than this.  So, some host adapters fudge the
conversion so that the entire disk will be usable.  There is no
standard way of doing this.  The SCSI CAM (Common Access Method)
addresses this, as well as many other issues, but even after it
becomes real, there will still be problems with older boards, until
they all die of old age.

Chuck Linsley
chuckl@chips.com
Chips and Technologies, Inc.