[comp.periphs.scsi] ARCHIVE SCSI Tape backup utility sought

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (12/07/90)

Hi, I am looking for a Tape backup utility to be used with
ADAPTEC SCSI controller (AHA1542) with Archive 150Mb viper streamer
under MSDOS (4.01)

I am using (on a different machine) the utility 'QSV' from Archive
on a QIC02 tape streamer. Since the tapes are exchangeable between
SCSI and QIC02 tape drives, I would prefer to have the same utility
that works with the Adaptec SCSI controller.

Another question:
Is there a utility or device driver (MSDOS) to use the tape as a 'raw'
device, like UNIX does?
If that would be possible, I could read/write CPIO or TAR tapes under
MSDOS. I would very much appreciate to have such program.

I would like to hear from every one who has any info on this matter.

Rob.
--
#---------------------------------------#       ______
# Rob Luursema,   BS-HW,  V1b2 ext 2246 #      /____ / organized

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (12/10/90)

In article <1070@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> robl@idca.tds.philips.nl writes:

>Is there a utility or device driver (MSDOS) to use the tape as a 'raw'
>device, like UNIX does?
>If that would be possible, I could read/write CPIO or TAR tapes under
>MSDOS. I would very much appreciate to have such program.
>
>I would like to hear from every one who has any info on this matter.

We have a product called OEM_TSR that can do what you want for some of
our tape drives.  It is a tsr.  Once it is loaded into memory an
application program can open the tape drive with a standard open command
and write to it as if it where a file.  It has some limitations.  All
reads and writes must be in blocks of 8k.  But if you make your cpio or
tar tape with an 8k blocking factor you should be able to read them back
on the dos side ( of course you have to write your own DOS version of tar
or cpio to get your data back.)

We have versions for our FS-150 (QIC-150) and our FS-1300 (1.3g Dat
drive).  I don't know the pricing.  Call the number in my signature and
ask for sales to get details.

David Hoopes                              Tallgras Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214