[comp.periphs.scsi] Adaptec ROMs

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (12/03/90)

-----

I have a pretty old Adaptec 1540 with ROM rev 2F.  Recently, i've
noticed that out 1542B's have ROM rev. 3.08.  Should I be interested
in a ROM upgrade for this board?

Thanks for the info...

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (12/06/90)

In <17957@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>-----

>I have a pretty old Adaptec 1540 with ROM rev 2F.  Recently, i've
>noticed that out 1542B's have ROM rev. 3.08.  Should I be interested
>in a ROM upgrade for this board?

>Thanks for the info...

>--
>	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
>	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of
>				 my favorite things..."

I have a related question here.  I formatted and installed Xenix
2.3.2 on a machine using and Adaptec 1542b with a Wren Runner
hard drive.  I then put this hard disk into a Tandy 4000 with an
older Adaptec 1540 (the original Tandy version without the
connector on the back).  I then had to re-install Xenix from
scratch since the disk couldn't be read by the older controller.

I'm reasonably sure I didn't do anything to the disk when I moved
it from one CPU to another (I've done this hundreds of times
without problems) so what could cause this incompatibility?

Bill.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (12/08/90)

>/* ---------- "Adaptec ROMs (esp. 1540A)" ---------- */
>
>I have a pretty old Adaptec 1540 with ROM rev 2F.  Recently, i've
>noticed that out 1542B's have ROM rev. 3.08.  Should I be interested
>in a ROM upgrade for this board?

The BIOS and firmware for all versions of the 154x family are not
interchangeable between different levels of the adapter.  The A BIOS
and firmware cannot be used on the B abd vice versa.  The original
1540 firmware cannot be upgraded by using the A or B adapter firmware.
This is due to changes in the SCSI protocol chip from version to
version of the adapter.  Also other changes have occured.  As we
release a new version of the adapter we incorporate various aspects
of the firmware into the ASIC hardware.  This is done to improve speed
and reliability, but the donwside is; the firmarwe/BIOS is not backward
compatible.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (12/11/90)

>In <17957@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>
>>-----
>
>>I have a pretty old Adaptec 1540 with ROM rev 2F.  Recently, i've
>>noticed that out 1542B's have ROM rev. 3.08.  Should I be interested
>>in a ROM upgrade for this board?
>
>>Thanks for the info...
>
>>--
>>	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
>>	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of
>>				 my favorite things..."
>
>I have a related question here.  I formatted and installed Xenix
>2.3.2 on a machine using and Adaptec 1542b with a Wren Runner
>hard drive.  I then put this hard disk into a Tandy 4000 with an
>older Adaptec 1540 (the original Tandy version without the
>connector on the back).  I then had to re-install Xenix from
>scratch since the disk couldn't be read by the older controller.
>
>I'm reasonably sure I didn't do anything to the disk when I moved
>it from one CPU to another (I've done this hundreds of times
>without problems) so what could cause this incompatibility?

The older 1540 used a 16 head translation and the latter 154x adapters
uses a 64 head translation.  The older adapter can be upgraded to the
64 head BIOS.  If you got the adapter from Tandy, you must go to them
for the upgrade, but if you got the adapter from distribution, (which
the older 1540 never saw), you can clal (408)945-8600 and ask for Tech
Support to get info on upgrades.