[comp.periphs.scsi] question on exabyte upgrades

was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) (12/19/90)

Does anyone know whether it will be possible to upgrade to 5 GB capacity
from 2.3 GB on exabytes?

Will it be just a PROM upgrade?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

--
Warren Stokes			Geelong & District Water Board
Phone: +61 52 262598		61-67 Ryrie St Geelong

tneale@aeras.uucp (Tom Neale) (12/21/90)

In article <560@rome.gdwb.oz.au> was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) writes:

>Does anyone know whether it will be possible to upgrade to 5 GB capacity
>from 2.3 GB on exabytes?
>
>Will it be just a PROM upgrade?

My understanding is that there are several substantial differences in
the electronics.  There may also be differences in the transport mechanism.
I doubt that PROMs will do it.
--
Blue skies,     | ...sun!aeras!tneale   |
                | in flight:     N2103Q | Entropy isn't what it used
Tom Neale       | in freefall:   D8049  | to be.
                | via the ether: WA1YUB |

mcconnel@b11.ingr.com (Guy McConnell) (12/21/90)

In article <560@rome.gdwb.oz.au>, was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) writes:

> Does anyone know whether it will be possible to upgrade to 5 GB capacity
> from 2.3 GB on exabytes?
>
> Will it be just a PROM upgrade?

    No, the 5 GB 8500 drive is substabtially different from the 2.5 GB 8200.
The 8500 has 5 heads (two write, two read, and a servo) as opposed to 3 heads
on the 8200.  There are fewer boards in the 8500 and the code is, of course,
different too.  The 8500 can read and WRITE in the 8200 format providing a path
for migration and interchange.

 Guy D. McConnell                   |                     |
 Intergraph Corp. Huntsville, AL.   | Opinions  expressed | How in the hell
 Mass Storage Peripheral Evaluation | are mine and do not | did that sine
 Tape Products                      | necessarily reflect | wave get on my
 uunet!ingr!b11!mspe5!guy           | Intergraph's.       | DIGITAL tape?!
 (205)730-6289    FAX (205)730-6011 |                     |