[comp.periphs.scsi] QIC-nn tape formats -- standard

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (01/04/91)

>/* ---------- "Re: QIC-nn tape formats -- standard" ---------- */
>pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) writes:
>
>>In article <2778D4B0.39B9@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>>>a) Does there exist anywhere, a 125MB or 150MB QIC tape drive (controller,
>>>   and associated UNIX driver) that can *WRITE* 60MB tapes as weel as
>>>   read them?
>>Not that I have seen.  To solve this problem, we added an Archive
>>2150ES (can write 125 and 150s, and read 60, 125 and 150s), to our
>>existing Adaptec SCSI setup, and a Wangtek 60 megger (for ~$250) just
>>for writing 60 and 45 Meg tapes for our software products.  The only
>>nasty thing about this is that the Wangtek has its own controller,
>>eating up a valuable slot.
>
>I wonder if Interactive Unix would support multiple SCSI tape drives -
>say a 2150S along with a 60 meg streamer - on one system using the
>same 1542b controller?

Don't know about ISC, but SCO does support multiple tape drives on the
SCSI bus.  I have a WangDAT and a Cipher ST150S-90 on adaptex for the
same reasons you guys have.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese