[comp.periphs.scsi] help with SCSICNTL.EXE

sarantos@cs.Princeton.EDU (Sarantos Kapidakis) (12/27/90)

I try to run the SCSICNTL.EXE program on my 1542B, without success.
Is SCSICNTL.EXE compatible with the 1542B, or only with 1542A ?
Or is my motherboard (25MHz 486 micronics) incompatible with SCSICNTL.EXE ?
I run version 5.3 of SCSICNTL.EXE, and as soon as I get the version
information I get a message:
GENERAL ERROR
Could not get local inquiry data from the adapter
Press <ENTER> to continue.
After my <ENTER>, I get the message
Cleaning up the SCSI bus
and the program terminates.

ALL settings on the 1542B have their default value (330h, IRQ11, etc).
The SETSCSI.EXE program seems to work.
I have a Wren IV drive.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

sarantos
sarantos@princeton.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/28/90)

sarantos@cs.Princeton.EDU (Sarantos Kapidakis) writes:

>I try to run the SCSICNTL.EXE program on my 1542B, without success.
>Is SCSICNTL.EXE compatible with the 1542B, or only with 1542A ?

works fine here on nstar with our 1542B

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Tim Bowser) (12/29/90)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

(message about SCSICNTL.EXE deleted)

I have attempted to get this program from adaptex, but the last time I tried
this the system didn't answer the phone.

Does anyone have the current site information for adaptex, such as the NUUCP
phone # ?

dns@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (David N. Sears) (12/29/90)

In <5614@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> sarantos@cs.Princeton.EDU (Sarantos Kapidakis) writes:

>I try to run the SCSICNTL.EXE program on my 1542B, without success.
>Is SCSICNTL.EXE compatible with the 1542B, or only with 1542A ?
>Or is my motherboard (25MHz 486 micronics) incompatible with SCSICNTL.EXE ?
We've run SCSICNTL.EXE on a 1542B (8MHz 80286). However, SCSICNTL
won't run on our ALR Flexcache 33/386 with a 1542A. It appears that
some motherboards confuse the program.

David Sears
EssnJay Systems, Inc.
Huntington, CT

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (01/04/91)

>/* ---------- "help with SCSICNTL.EXE" ---------- */
>I try to run the SCSICNTL.EXE program on my 1542B, without success.
>Is SCSICNTL.EXE compatible with the 1542B, or only with 1542A ?
>Or is my motherboard (25MHz 486 micronics) incompatible with SCSICNTL.EXE ?
>I run version 5.3 of SCSICNTL.EXE, and as soon as I get the version
>information I get a message:
>GENERAL ERROR
>Could not get local inquiry data from the adapter
>Press <ENTER> to continue.
>After my <ENTER>, I get the message
>Cleaning up the SCSI bus
>and the program terminates.
>
>ALL settings on the 1542B have their default value (330h, IRQ11, etc).
>The SETSCSI.EXE program seems to work.
>I have a Wren IV drive.

I am working on a newer version that will hopefully take care of all
the timing issues with these faster machines.  I finally got a hold of
a 486 to use and so V5.4 will have this problem corrected.  It is a timing
issue.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese

is@athena.cs.uga.edu (Bob Stearns) (01/04/91)

Further anent the 154[02][AB]: Is there any a penurious support shop (mine)
can easily use a single 386/33 + 154[02][AB] + 600MB drive to be able to
support the three operating systems DOS+WINDOWS, ESIX, and SCO? There is no
reasonable way to fit (financially or physically) three different systems in
my office and so I would like to use the one tower, partitioned appropriately,
to support all three operating systems. The FASST 7000 controller has such a
capability builtin to the ROM BIOS on the card, but it is not supported by
ESIX.

Any assistance (code, impossibility proofs, techniques, etc) will be greatly
and gratefully appreciated.