[comp.periphs.scsi] Future Domain TMC-860 has 8 bit bus

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (01/04/91)

Hello,

just for curiosity:

Yesterday I installed my new Future Domain TMC-860, which is advertized and
I bougth it for this, as a 16-bit hostadapter.

Looking at the bus contacts I wondered: Nearly no pads on the AT slot !

Looking nearer: The AT part of the slot is used only for additional
interrupt lines ( 10,11,12,13,14 ), but NOT for the databus. So this
is really a 8 bit adapter like the earlier ones. It may be faster than those
for other reasons, but definitly not because of bus width.

BTW another strange topic on these adapters:
They do not use a IO port address, and they do not have a shared memory.
( So says the manual ) So how does the processor access it ?
There is only some ROM for BIOS on it, which has its address range.

Reinhard Kirchner
Univ. Kaiserslautern, Germany
kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/05/91)

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) writes:

>Looking nearer: The AT part of the slot is used only for additional
>interrupt lines ( 10,11,12,13,14 ), but NOT for the databus. So this
>is really a 8 bit adapter like the earlier ones. It may be faster than those
>for other reasons, but definitly not because of bus width.

yep - we found the same thing out - and called FD and at the time
(last summer) were told that FD didn't make a card which did 16 bit
data transfers.

We used the board under Novell 2.15 until it died 9 months later -
then replaced it with an Adaptec 1542B - which does do 16 bit data
transfers.  We should have bought the 1542B to start with -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator