[comp.periphs.scsi] Need to format with bizzare block size

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (01/16/91)

Does anyone out there know of a SCSI controller (embedded or bridge)
which would allow me to format a drive with 576 (yes, that's 576) byte
blocks?  Adaptec perhaps?

Most controllers I've found only handle the "normal" powers-of-2 (512,
1204, etc.), or the documentation isn't specific.  The Tech. Support
people at various manufacurers don't seem to be able to deal with
questions like this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-hans

  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/17/91)

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:

>Does anyone out there know of a SCSI controller (embedded or bridge)
>which would allow me to format a drive with 576 (yes, that's 576) byte
>blocks?  Adaptec perhaps?

your main problem is to get a SCSI *drive* that can format itself
using that block size....
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

wgstuken@faui4n.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock (Dipl. Zugangssystem Inf4)) (01/17/91)

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:

>Does anyone out there know of a SCSI controller (embedded or bridge)
>which would allow me to format a drive with 576 (yes, that's 576) byte
>blocks?  Adaptec perhaps?

MAXTOR drives XT4xxxS and XT8xxxS can be formatted to any blocksize between
196 (I'm not shure if this value is exact, but it is something around this)
and 4096 byte/block! Up to now, I've never had any problems with them.

Wolfgang