[comp.periphs.scsi] ST02 - doesn't work with ProDrive Quantum S80

vp@cuisun.unige.ch (Vassilis Prevelakis) (01/17/91)

In article <440@usun01.UUCP> gehrken@usun01.UUCP (gehrken) writes:
>I tried to use the cheap ST02 SCSI controller with the Quantum prodrive S80
>in my AT .
>The controller seems to have a nonstandard scsi specification or cabeling,
>so the drive does not get ready.

Its actually the BIOS on the ST02 board that is responsible.  The
same problem occurs with the ST01 controller as well.

If you want to be able to boot from that disk I guess you're stuck,
but if you can boot from a floppy or another hard disk you can use
an MS-DOS driver for the ST01.  Unfortunately you'll be forced to
remove the PROM from the ST02, so you won't be able to use the floppies
unless you hack the driver.  The driver was posted by davep@gapos.bt.co.uk.
It would be better to contact dave in case he has a more uptodate version.
Alternatively I can send you the version I've got.

**vp

email:	vp@cui.unige.ch		| Vasilis Prevelakis
uucp:	...!mcsun!cui!vp	| Centre Universitaire d'Informatique (CUI)
Phone:	+41 (22) 787 65 86	| 12 Rue du Lac,
Fax:	+41 (22) 735 39 05	| Geneva, Switzerland CH-1207

Iconoclast: person who hates the Macintosh OS.

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (01/18/91)

I have only the ST01, but my impression is that the ST02PROM
contains no support code for the floppies anyway.