[comp.periphs.scsi] TERMINATION ON EXTERNAL TAPE DRIVE

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (01/27/91)

I would like to be able to use an external SCSI tape drive on
several systems, but think there may be a problem with
termination resistors.

The problem is that there are both internal and external devices.
As I understand it the internal hard drive and external tape
should be terminated and the terminators should be removed from
the host adapter.

	  +-----------------+   +-------------+   +--------------+
      |    HARD DISK    |___|    1542     |___|  TAPE DRIVE  |
      |   (terminated)  |   |  Untermin.  |   | (Terminated) |
      +-----------------+   +-------------+   +--------------+

Can I get away with removing the terminator from the tape drive
so that there are only two terminators in the system?  I don't
whan to have to take the system apart to R&R terminators from the
1542 every time I need to use the tape.

Thanks

Bill
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way
             uunet!camco!bill   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (01/30/91)

In article <708@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>
>Can I get away with removing the terminator from the tape drive
>so that there are only two terminators in the system?  I don't
>whan to have to take the system apart to R&R terminators from the
>1542 every time I need to use the tape.

The terminators must be at the end of the chains.  You might be able to
buy and external scsi terminator and plug it in when the tape drive was
removed.

Warning.  Don't go plugging and unplugging these cables while the system
is powwered on.

David Hoopes                              Tallgras Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214

gouwv1@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (J. van der Gouw) (01/30/91)

In article <708@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
**** stuff deleted *****
>As I understand it the internal hard drive and external tape
>should be terminated and the terminators should be removed from
>the host adapter.
>
>	  +-----------------+   +-------------+   +--------------+
>      |    HARD DISK    |___|    1542     |___|  TAPE DRIVE  |
>      |   (terminated)  |   |  Untermin.  |   | (Terminated) |
>      +-----------------+   +-------------+   +--------------+
>
>Can I get away with removing the terminator from the tape drive
>so that there are only two terminators in the system?  I don't
>whan to have to take the system apart to R&R terminators from the
>1542 every time I need to use the tape.
**** stuff deleted *****

No you can't get away with removing the terminators on the external tape drive.
According to the SCSI spec you must have terminators on both ends of the SCSI
chain.
However there are terminator blocks available (at least here in Europe)
which you can connect to the external connnector of the AHA-1542.
In that case you only need to take the system apart once and remove the
internal terminators.

Jos.

Jos van der Gouw					Tel. : 31-55-432353
Philips Information Systems 				FAX  : 31-55-432103
Apeldoorn
The Netherlands.

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (01/31/91)

I'm not sure about having a tape drive and hard drive on the same SCSI
bus (well, it works on my sparcstation but not on my novell server) but
we got one external SCSI terminator which seems that you can plug into
a SCSI port and allows you to plug another port on top of it so that if
it's being chained through, it's not terminated but if it isn't, it's
terminating.

(ie:     card<=====>SCSI_device<>                terminated.
                                ^ terminator
         card<=====>SCSI_device<><====>SCSI_device[]
                                ^ terminators     ^
                                                  ^ terminated here.)

It's kinda hard to explain if you don't look at it.  Think of it as some
kind of serial adapter except it's for terminating SCSI buses.  This way,
you can disconnect the 2nd device without fear not having the SCSI bus
being broken (although you're software or computer might disagree :-).
Cool idea if you ask me though.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must