[comp.periphs.scsi] Best combinat of SCSI controller + Tape Drive for DOS

jft@caen.engin.umich.edu (juei feng tu ) (01/29/91)

I know this may be a question been asked many times, but I am new to
this group.  Can any one suggest a best combination of a SCSI controller and
a tape backup system for DOS.  If available, it's better the tape drive
can be unplugged sometime from the PC system and use it with a MAC.
Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Tu

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.122939.29171@engin.umich.edu> jft@caen.engin.umich.edu (juei feng tu ) writes:
>I know this may be a question been asked many times, but I am new to
>this group.  Can any one suggest a best combination of a SCSI controller and
>a tape backup system for DOS.  If available, it's better the tape drive
>can be unplugged sometime from the PC system and use it with a MAC.
>Please reply. Thanks in advance.
>
>Tu

You did not say if you planned to use the scsi controller just for tape.  if
you do then we sell a package (tape drive, host adapter, and FileSecure
software) that will do what you want on DOS.  The same tape drives can be
used on a MAC with the Retrospect software from Dantz.

If you want to run your tape drive on the same controller with Hard drives
(or anything else) or if you decide later that you want to upgrade.  Use
an Adaptec 1540 (or 1542, 1640, 1740, 1522) and the ASPI manager from
Adaptec.  The FileSecure software will automaticly detect if the ASPI
manager is loaded.  If it is FileSecure will talk to the tape drive on the
Adaptec scsi bus.

supported
David Hoopes                              Tallgras Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214